Venturing into cold water...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After spending a year and half diving in the clear, warm water of the Caribbean, I have no ventured into the cold, murky waters of the UK. At the beginning of the month, I started my drysuit course. I didn't particularly care for the instructor I had in the pool for various reasons (mostly having to do with weight and snorkels; he didn't think I was overweighted with 8kg yet no matter how much air I pumped into my bp/w and suit, I couldn't get off the bottom of the pool and he went on for about 5 minutes over the fact I don't own a snorkel).
Yesterday, were my open water dives. And I had a different instructor, which was good. Not only was she a PADI instructor, but she was also a tech diver who normally dives a hog rig. So, she was able to help me tweak my rig for my fundies course this summer. :)

Anyway, back to the diving. The first dive I was having quite a few issues, mainly adjusting to wearing a hood and gloves, as well as to the cold water and the low vis. Nevermind the dry suit and the buoyancy issues I was having. I felt like a total newbie, and I found it discouraging. I went from having perfect buoyancy to being absolute crap in the water. I decided to abort the first dive. I needed to get my head on straight and I wasn't going to be able to do it at that moment. I was too frustrated with myself. So, we took a short break and re-adjusted my rig in the mean time, as well as discussed some of the issues I was having and why I was having them.

Now back to the water to re-do dive number one. A much better dive. First thing we did was sort out my weight. Turns out, I only need 6 kg in my drysuit, with the undergarments I have (Typhoon TRX suit with fourth element arctic undergarments). Did a couple of skills on a platform (fin pivot and hover). I was able to correct myself, and managed to get myself out of a feet first ascent a few times as well. The free swim wasn't too bad as well. I kicked up some silt, but it happens.
The second dive went even better. Just did the one skill of disconnect and reconnect the inflator hose and putted around the lake for a bit, looking at the school bus, container, inverted boat, and other "attractions" placed in it. I even managed a "beautiful" hover at 4m (or so I'm told).

This evening, I was planning on heading to my club's pool night to continue working on my buoyancy and comfort in the drysuit , but since no one else was interested in going, they cancelled it. Instead, I was invited back to the quarry I had my training dives at yesterday. I'm starting to get the hang of wearing a drysuit. I only had once "uncontrolled" ascent (it was a slow, "oh look, I'm at the surface") from about 2 m on the first dive, and the second dive, I managed to catch myself, and release the air in my suit fairly quickly. Thankfully, none were feet first. Overall, 2 good dives. I opted out of the night dive as that's just throwing in another factor I have little experience in. Too many new things at once.

There are things I definitely need to work on. For one, I'm not used wearing gloves and having no dexterity. I found it a bit complicated to unclip my spg from my d-ring. eventually, I managed to be able to twist my neck to be able to see it without having to remove it. Secondly, I need to keep my breathing calm when the vis turns to ****. I know my sac rate in cold water will never be as low as warm water, but I want it lower what it currently is. I feel that will come with more time in the water.

I have 3 months until my fundies course. The goal is to get in as many dives as possible (both in open water and the pool) so I am completely comfortable and confident in my suit. The cold water doesn't really bother me. I get a bit panicky when the vis all of sudden sucks. I'm sure I will get used to it in time. And I know my buoyancy will come back. I've been told the average is about 20 dives until people really get comfortable and using a drysuit becomes second nature. So, hopefully it all comes together for me.

Sounds like a great start! Dry suits and heavy undergarments do complicate buoyancy, but one gets the hang of it -- it sounds as though you've learned the first lesson, which is that you always have to stay AHEAD of the suit, because if you get sufficiently behind it, it's going to run your life -- and there is a point at which that's pretty much irretrievable.

Low viz is another thing you just have to get used to -- the more comfortable and stable you feel in your equipment, the better you can cope with short periods of low viz. (I'm assuming it was the thick silt in the water that really got you, but I could be wrong.) Very low, or zero viz, or prolonged very low viz requires that you really learn some non-visual orientation information. I've done a fair bit of low viz diving (Puget Sound serves that up all too often) and some prolonged lights-out work in cave classes, but I will say that I still find very low viz somewhat unnerving, and I don't like it very much. But one does gain coping skills.

Have fun with your practice, and good luck with your Fundies class! Who are you taking the class with?

Greetings rivers sounds familiar since I live in what amounts to cold water all but a few short months in the summer.
You have three months to hone your skills and as determined as you sound you will be fine.
The dry suit takes a handful of dives to get the basics down then the finesse will come a little every dive.
Same with the hood and wet gloves or dry gloves it is a learning curve that with good training and mastery you will be rocking it soon!

I have come to love all water conditions but do have my favorites, caves are my passion but I love the Great Lakes ship wrecks.
The wrecks can be ever changing conditions which keep us sharp.
Do not underestimate pool time as I use the pool to try new gear and other techniques before the OW trials.
+1 on the instructor makes the difference in all situations a good one is like finding a gold nugget and a bad one like shooting yourself in both feet!

Keep training and you will be on it soon, just do not let set backs stop you but let the determination drive you to mastery!
When something feels uncomfortable train with it till you can perform skills blind folded.
Keep us posted and you will be great in a few months!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Sounds like a great start! Dry suits and heavy undergarments do complicate buoyancy, but one gets the hang of it -- it sounds as though you've learned the first lesson, which is that you always have to stay AHEAD of the suit, because if you get sufficiently behind it, it's going to run your life -- and there is a point at which that's pretty much irretrievable.

Low viz is another thing you just have to get used to -- the more comfortable and stable you feel in your equipment, the better you can cope with short periods of low viz. (I'm assuming it was the thick silt in the water that really got you, but I could be wrong.) Very low, or zero viz, or prolonged very low viz requires that you really learn some non-visual orientation information. I've done a fair bit of low viz diving (Puget Sound serves that up all too often) and some prolonged lights-out work in cave classes, but I will say that I still find very low viz somewhat unnerving, and I don't like it very much. But one does gain coping skills.

Have fun with your practice, and good luck with your Fundies class! Who are you taking the class with?

Thanks! I'm taking fundies with a gentleman by the name of Renato, who will actually be conducting his first fundies course. It's being assisted/evaluated by Chris Le Maillot (from Zero Gravity in Mexico).

Yeah, it was the silt I had issues with. Not really used to having a bottom I can see. I'm used to 3500-7000 ft of sheer drop.
It has been a task-loaded couple of days of for me. But, I'll be headed back to the quarry next Wednesday as long as I'm not working. If I am working, I'll go another day.

Greetings rivers sounds familiar since I live in what amounts to cold water all but a few short months in the summer.
You have three months to hone your skills and as determined as you sound you will be fine.
The dry suit takes a handful of dives to get the basics down then the finesse will come a little every dive.
Same with the hood and wet gloves or dry gloves it is a learning curve that with good training and mastery you will be rocking it soon!

I have come to love all water conditions but do have my favorites, caves are my passion but I love the Great Lakes ship wrecks.
The wrecks can be ever changing conditions which keep us sharp.
Do not underestimate pool time as I use the pool to try new gear and other techniques before the OW trials.
+1 on the instructor makes the difference in all situations a good one is like finding a gold nugget and a bad one like shooting yourself in both feet!

Keep training and you will be on it soon, just do not let set backs stop you but let the determination drive you to mastery!
When something feels uncomfortable train with it till you can perform skills blind folded.
Keep us posted and you will be great in a few months!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Thanks! The plan is to keep training. The one good thing about being in the UK is nearly everyone dives in a drysuit, and they've all been in my shoes. And the quarry near my flat (I say near, but it takes 40 minutes by train to get there) is the perfect training area (it's actually where most of the dive schools in the London area conduct their training dives). At it's deepest point, it's only about 10 m/40 ft.
And a couple of guys from my club/LDS go every Wednesday, so I have people to go with and to use as a mentor.
I'll get there. Even today, I was loads more comfortable in the suit than I was yesterday (and I shelled out the money for a suit, so it's the only one I will be using. What can I say, I like having my own gear and I would have spent more on a rental between now and my fundies course than the cost of the suit itself).

Again, thanks for your word of encouragement.

I've been told the average is about 20 dives until people really get comfortable and using a drysuit becomes second nature.
I think 20 dives before the operating the drysuit becomes "second nature" is a very optimistic number. At that level of experience, even mild to moderate task-loading will reveal deficiencies in your technique. It may take 75-100 dives for the drysuit to feel really comfortable.

Get in as much practice as possible before your next class...

Are you taking the class in MX, or in the UK? It will be quite different, depending on where it is :)

Are you taking the class in MX, or in the UK? It will be quite different, depending on where it is :)

In the UK. Hoping to meet up with some of the GUE divers in the area sometime soon. There's quite a few out here.

Starting out in cold water is a big plus. I still dive wet in NS--over winter sometimes. Going to the South U.S. and Caribbean is a piece of cake. Shorties, body suits, wow.... But I still enjoy what Nova Scotia has to offer.

Starting out in cold water is a big plus. I still dive wet in NS--over winter sometimes. Going to the South U.S. and Caribbean is a piece of cake. Shorties, body suits, wow.... But I still enjoy what Nova Scotia has to offer.

I second this statement. Having just finished my open water in Vancouver and then heading down to the Bay of Pigs, Cuba made diving seem easy haha! Then I came back here for another drysuit dive and my feeling off control in the water kind of went out the window :D. Stick to it, there's tons of good stuff to see in cold water! Maybe even make it out to BC it's pretty darn good out here :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom