VEO 200 Nitrox default problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm ... dont much like a gage to not read what I'm expecting it to, after setting it to

I suspect it is a know problem (to Oceanic) but they have said nothing. since it is not a safety issue and few divers have even noticed it. But I am disappointed that they let some of their customers lose the extended bottom time benefit of nitrox. I also have to wonder how much further the problem continues through their line. My Data Pluses may be a PITA to reset all the time, but they do safely get me extended bottom time.

Dan G has a good question ... I wonder if you have to scroll through the various FO2's in set mode to get it to set, or will just scrolling through the set mode do it without scrolling through FO2's ?

Dan G has a good question ... I wonder if you have to scroll through the various FO2's in set mode to get it to set, or will just scrolling through the set mode do it without scrolling through FO2's ?

I played with it a little bit when I had the problem. With default "OFF" I did go to the PPO2 set screen and I think I went all the way through and back to 32% and seemed to get a good next dive. I don't really recall exactly what I did each time so I may well have gone to the set PPO2 screen on another occasion, saw that it was set to 32% and left it. If I did that, I don't believe it worked. After 4 dive with 2 going into deco and only one reasonably close to my Data Plus, I reverted to default "OFF" (resetting PPO2 before each EAN dive) and have had no further problem doing the next 7 dives at the Flower Gardens and another 11 EAN dives in Cozumel a week later, all with my trusty Data Plus sitting right next to my VEO200.

Just called Oceanic and asked them to look at the thread.

It holds the O2 setting and it shows that setting in the log. They just don't know how to keep the N2 setting (Seinfeld). I can live with that and since I bought it used, I really don't expect a free fix. But I have to wonder what other owners are doing that don't also have a computer without that programming defect. They probably never realize they are just diving air with an extra margin of safety.

My bad, I should have said nitrogen. But if it not tracking nitrogen correctly what else is not being track correctly in the background?

My bad, I should have said nitrogen. But if it not tracking nitrogen correctly what else is not being track correctly in the background?

I really don't believe it goes any deeper than what is happening with the PPO2 default routines. I have run divePal quite a bit using the divePal generic Haldanean algorithm and their rendition of the Oceanic VEO250 with good agreement. I really believe what is going on is when you select default "YES" the computer switchs to 50% O2 and 79% N2 after each EAN dive. When you select default "NO" the PPO2 setting remains unchanged but the N2 setting is defaulting anyway. I doubt they meant for it to be that way but it is not unsafe (no CPSC recall) and is manageable. But, assuming this is a systemic programming problem, it would be nice to have it properly documented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Default on the Veo 200

Hey everyone I hope that I can help shed some light on what is happening I have attached page 19 from the Veo 200/250 owner’s manual, if you would like a further explanation please feel free to give us a call at 1(800) 435-3483
page 19.png

If something different is happening than what is defined I would recommend sending your computer in for review/service

I have looked at it, have a 250, and I was also unaware the it did so

The point being made here in this thread , is that the manual is (poorly) worded in such a way as to not make that plainly apparent ... no where in if the Default is set to OFF does it mention that fact
.. It's/you're making the assumption that you'll carry over that info from the data point made under if the Default is set to ON
I don't think that we're being really dense here, I think they should change manual , for this, and the other Oceanic computers that have this same poorly worded info

---------- Post Merged at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:59 PM ----------

So it just sounds better to have the default ON b/c we have to set the FO2 every dive that is not 21%. I wonder, though, if the default is OFF, will the computer acknowledge a re-setting of the FO2 on a subsequent dive if the user just scrolls through SET MODE, stops at FO2, does not adjust the FO2 from previous dive, and then moves through the remainder of SET MODE. Or will the user have to go to FO2 in SET MODE and go completely around (the 180 goes up to 50%) the FO2 setting and back to the original FO2 for the subsequent dive so that the computer acknowledges that the user is paying attention to their settings.

All that being said, I may just start diving with the default ON.

this is a good question ... I would venture a guess that you have to scroll the FO2's and reset it .. otherwise you have not "reset" it

Hey everyone I hope that I can help shed some light on what is happening I have attached page 19 from the Veo 200/250 owner’s manual, if you would like a further explanation please feel free to give us a call at 1(800) 435-3483
View attachment 130066

If something different is happening than what is defined I would recommend sending your computer in for review/service

If the computer had done what the manual you quoted suggested, this thread would not exist. Why did my VEO 200 go into deco while my Data Plus accumulated only 10 of 12 ticks into the green (about 70% max tissue loading)? The explanation I received was that with default "OFF" the computer still reverts to 79% nitrogen while it retains the Oxygen setting.

Why does my VEO 200 work just fine if I set the default to "ON"?

Back
Top Bottom