Vintage ScubaPro Jet Fins question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUIwowee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of SP Jet Fins from craigslist for $25. They are an extra-large pair, made in USA, and they do not have the lightning bolt through the SP logo. I'm guessing they are 70's vintage. They are in great shape with no apparent damage; but I do have one question. The fins are solid black rubber, except for the upper area around the foot pocket opening. When viewed in daylight, the rubber in this area appears to be a slightly different color, almost a dark olive drab. This area starts just above the buckles on both sides, goes over the top of the foot pocket, and goes from the pocket opening down to about halfway to the the SP logo. When these fins were molded, did they use a different rubber in this area? Maybe a more pliable rubber to stretch when a foot was inserted in the opening? In the attached picture of the fins, you can see a wavy line between the SP logo and the pocket opening, This is where the different color starts. Just curious if anyone was familiar with this. I can't wait to try them out to see how they compare with my SP Twin-Jet Max fins.

Attachments

• 12-02-10 001.jpg
    12-02-10 001.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 1,392
Last edited:
Nevermind. I just pulled out a set of USD Super Rocket fins I had in the closet and shined a flashlight on them. They have the same slightly-discolored rubber along the top of the foot pocket down to just past the UDS logo. Obviously the black rubber fins are molded with a different rubber compound in this area to allow for stretching around your foot.

Yes. So why all the room in the front?

The Jet Fin was really the first fin with a really comfortable foot pocket. JY Cousteau used the Jet Fin in his film, World Without Sun, which made Scubapro most unhappy. Many don't realize that the Jet Fin originated in Europe, and was a full-foot fin in its first rendition. The large foot pocket resulted from a design to allow the use of neoprene booties for cold-water diving. Until the Jet Fin, it was difficult to fit a wet suit bootied foot into a fin (a Duck Foot Fin, for instance). In addition to this, the Jet Fin was the first fin to extend the rigid part of the fin almost to the heel, which helped prevent foot cramps prevalent in the fins to that time. It was quite a design at the time, and Scubapro should not have worried about Cousteau's use of the fin, as that sold a bunch of Jet Fins for Scubapro.

SeaRat

What leads you to conclude that your Jetfins were made in the 1970s? They have been produced virtually unchanged since the mid 1960s, so what is it about yours that makes you think they are from the '70s and not of more recent manufacture?

Hmm. I recently purchased two new pairs of Jetfins. Neither have the Lightning on the logo. So, what gives?

EDIT: When I bought mine, the seller listed them as NOS. If the lightning bolt was added in '83, then the fins must be older than I thought. Oh, well. They are in new condition and I paid $25 a pair for them, so all is good.

Last edited:
NOS or NIB does not factor in age or condition.

My Jet Fins don't have the lightning bolt on them, and when I realized there were others that did have it, I searched out some old threads because I was curious about it.

I have read that the rubber compound changed, but I'm still not sure about all the details.

Some seem to say the new (lightning bolt model) rubber was more flexible; others say the lightning bolt fin is less negative than the original.

Maybe it's both? Anyone know for sure?

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom