violence towards non-natives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I heard while living there, and Hawaii is the only place I've lived where I was near a US military base, is that the locals and military guys did get into weekend, usually drunken confrontations, more than the general population. Is this true near other bases in other places?

skierbri10- If it wasn 't for diving I would go out of my mind. One of the nurse's I had (during my wonderful stay at the hospital that tried to kill me) told me about some of the locals at her school that kept telling her to go back to the mainland (and that is putting it the nice way) and get off their land. I don't give attitude to anyone unless they start first and I always smile at people whether I know them or not as I am not looking to give haoles a bad name. A local young woman my friend works with told us that while she was growing up she was told how bad the "white" people were and not to tolerate them being in Hawaii. Guess you will always get people (all over the world) that are taught to discriminate against others. I still can't wait to move back to the mainland, but I try to make the best of it here. I do have several friends that are locals (hawaiians), but they are far and few between.

skierbri10:
Yep, I got the same problems. I am getting into scuba, as means to get away from locals, and the fact that I have always wanted to learn scuba. I can't wait to get out of here either. I am hoping the diving makes it more bareable in the mean time.

skierbri10 and melissa posting under vince's account, i just want to apologize for the jerks that made your time in hawaii so unbearable. I love Hawaii and can't wait to return. It pains me to know that people from where I call home are acting so stupidly. Hawaii truly is an awesome place and there are a lot of great folks, I hope you guys get to meet some locals that will take care of you and show you what Hawaii is really about. I do pray that the rest of your stay in Hawaii will be a safe and happy one, and skierbri I think diving will definately make it more bearable.

Ho cuz, no worry beef curry, get small kine discrimination (and not necessarily if you are haole) for da folks from da mainland. Even us Asians that talk like da haoles (you know speaking proper english), wen private skoo, and da kine mainland college get made fun of. But no let em boddah you. Get plenty of peepo dat goin show you da aloha spirit. Go dive with da guys wit dive oahu and they take care. NO worries about da guy eddie he is pretty kool, he small kine rough, but he is alright, and da chick leesa and da bruddah rogah, them is good kine folks, so no scared em go get em, Hawaii No Ka Oi (you think they will still give me my JD after seeing me talk like this, haha I am such a banana some times)

I think this is my favorite post I've seen ever! Oh to be living in Hawaii again........ maybe one day.

ch0ppersrule:
skierbri10- If it wasn 't for diving I would go out of my mind. One of the nurse's I had (during my wonderful stay at the hospital that tried to kill me) told me about some of the locals at her school that kept telling her to go back to the mainland (and that is putting it the nice way) and get off their land. I don't give attitude to anyone unless they start first and I always smile at people whether I know them or not as I am not looking to give haoles a bad name. A local young woman my friend works with told us that while she was growing up she was told how bad the "white" people were and not to tolerate them being in Hawaii. Guess you will always get people (all over the world) that are taught to discriminate against others. I still can't wait to move back to the mainland, but I try to make the best of it here. I do have several friends that are locals (hawaiians), but they are far and few between.
That sounds very familiar. The local people that I work with are great people. It's just the ones out in public that just see me as another Haole that is the problem. I keep to myself, but sometimes I get really bad serivce at places. That is why I stay to places that aren't too local when I go shopping. It is a shame, I am the most non-racist person that I know of, but people call me names and visually assault me all the time. Sad, I grew up in CA and never had a problem with anyone, but I come to Hawaii and it is all about how I am a threat.

jjgibo:
skierbri10 and melissa posting under vince's account, i just want to apologize for the jerks that made your time in hawaii so unbearable. I love Hawaii and can't wait to return. It pains me to know that people from where I call home are acting so stupidly. Hawaii truly is an awesome place and there are a lot of great folks, I hope you guys get to meet some locals that will take care of you and show you what Hawaii is really about. I do pray that the rest of your stay in Hawaii will be a safe and happy one, and skierbri I think diving will definately make it more bearable.
I hope so..... :D

Melissa...I'm so sorry for your esperiences. I go out a lot, all over the island and guess I can call myself lucky that I haven't had any experiences like that. Maybe I get less hassled because I am out there with my clients.

yea, I haven't had it either but I wonder if my kids were in public school, would I?
When I do have a rub, its not with the locals. The other night, we were driving to the Aloha stadium and smebody cut me off. One of the high school kids in my car said "****ing haole." And I said, "wait a minute, Gracie, YOU are a haole!"...I get confused. These kids are kind, make honor roll, play sports, all are different ethnicities, and let the racial remarks fly, and they don't mean anything from what I can tell. Thats Hawaii, nobody thinks much about it from what I see and everybody seems to get on fine. Cheryl, am I right? After my divorce this guy ask me out and he said "Have you ever dated an Asian guy?" and I said "why, are you Asian?" I don't know what I thought he was, everybody is all a little of this, a little of that. I like it.

catherine96821:
yea, I haven't had it either but I wonder if my kids were in public school, would I?
When I do have a rub, its not with the locals. The other night, we were driving to the Aloha stadium and smebody cut me off. One of the high school kids in my car said "****ing haole." And I said, "wait a minute, Gracie, YOU are a haole!"...I get confused. These kids are kind, make honor roll, play sports, all are different ethnicities, and let the racial remarks fly, and they don't mean anything from what I can tell. Thats Hawaii, nobody thinks much about it from what I see and everybody seems to get on fine. Cheryl, am I right? After my divorce this guy ask me out and he said "Have you ever dated an Asian guy?" and I said "why, are you Asian?" I don't know what I thought he was, everybody is all a little of this, a little of that. I like it.

WOW- I never in my life would have cussed around my parents or another adult much less make a racist statement like that. Whether she is a haole/white person herself, she has no respect for others. Honor roll and whatnot does not make you a good person. Your actions and words define you. That is the problem with the American kids (yes, I am including Hawaiians as hawaii is a state) nowadays- they have no respect for others or other peoples property. Letting racial remarks fly and not mean anything by it? WRONG. Stop it before it starts and teach respect for each other. Okay, so anyways see you all at the luncheon next week since I won't be diving this weekend. We are moving at the end of the month-- any takers and helping? Just kidding, we hired some guys to help with the heavier stuff.

Melissa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom