Visiting NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I'm heading to NC and am hoping to get some dive-related info. My wife and I will be in Oak Island the week of 4th July and so far we booked a trip to the Liberty Ship with Aquatic Safaris on 7/5. Unfortunately, all the other trips are booked already and we wouldn't mind getting one more day of diving in. Any other dive operators in that area you could recommend?

Looks like shore diving is not really an option in your neck of the woods, right? So I was thinking making a day trip to Fantasy Lake Scuba Park. Never dove a quarry, so at least it's a new experience. Any suggestions to rent gear there? Seems like they don't rent gear at the lake anymore.

What about hoping in the water off Oak Island? I called the city and they don't seem to prohibit diving there but no one was really sure. I guess I'm getting desperate
icon_wink.gif
Probably not much to see and I'm not sure about currents there. Stupid idea?

Thanks so much in advance for any info! Can't wait to dive NC
icon_smile.gif

Gerald

Don't know if you have seen this but is an option you might want to consider. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...-deep-dixie/340605-come-nc-july-4th-dive.html He is about 2 hrs north of Oak Island, not a bad day trip or staying in the bunk house is fun....or at least I think so.

Not sure I would ride all the way to FL (around 4 hrs each way) to dive but if you do and need to rent gear, Gypsy Divers is only a few blocks out of your way. Swim and Scuba Lessons in Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Holly Springs, Apex, Morrisville: Gypsy Divers Aquatic Center If you decide to go to FL, keep the guys on NC divers posted (saw your post there too) there is a good chance you can pick up some local buddies to dive with you.

I was just on oak island last and dove a few days with Aquatic Safaris - good dive op. When my dive buddy and I scheduled for our dives a few we wanted where full. We asked to be put on the waiting list and some spots opened up a few days before. Seems alot of people book then back out before the cancelation date. Try that if you still want those dives.

O btw the sand tigers on the hyde trip where fantastic last week. Seemed more sharks showed up each day. Had to be 30 sharks there on wednesday.

Thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom