Volunteer Diver Program at The National Aquarium in Baltimore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
There was some chat about this back in January and February and I wanted to post an update and let folks know about the program. General information about the volunteer dive program at the NAIB can be found at http://www.aquadivers.org/?page=facts. They are currently taking applications for testing in early 2006. The process includes a written test, an interview and an in-water test. One thing to keep in mind when applying is that it may take some time (months) to get assigned to a team once you have qualified. While you are waiting, other volunteer opportunities at the aquarium may be available to you and I would encourage you to take advantage of them.

My experiences with the program: I went through the testing back in Jan and Feb 2005, did my general aquarium training (for all volunteers) in March and April and had my first day as an apprentice diver last Monday. In between I did other volunteer work at the aquarium (dolphin observation - got to watch a female dolphin go through the late stages of pregnancy and a baby male dolphin go through his first few months of life and animal programs - the department that is in charge of training and enrichment for the animals at the aquarium). I have had opportunities to get to know tons more about marine life and the chance to observe and work with animals that I would never have seen up close except through a tank glass, exhibit window or on a truip to an exotic location. In addition to those benefits, I have gotten to know many great people and made lots of new friends - I even found a regular, reliable dive buddy:14:

If you have the time to commit to the volunteer dive program, I highly encourage you to consider applying. If you can be patient while waiting to be assigned to a team, you won't regret it - there are divers on my team who have been volunteering there for many years. Did I mention free local warm water diving all year?

Jackie Cooper

I am looking foward to this years testing process, I filled out the app this summer. If there is any advice you can give I would aprreciate it. Hope to see you there one day!

Jackie,

Glad to see you finally got in the tank. I still have been volunteering with the MRA. I have been out with them around 15 times. On 11/6 we salvaged at 14ft sailboat. The MRA is full of NAIB divers, so I get to hear all the stories. With my new work schedule, I won't be able to volunteer at the aquarium but thanks to you I have found a great organization and group of divers in the MRA.

Take care and hope to hear of your aquarium adventures.

Pedro

I'd suggest rereading your open water dive manual, a rescue diver manual if you have one or the DAN First aid for harzardous marine life booklet, and some general reading on sharks, rays and coral reef life. There are some good websites with this kind of general info - the Florida Museum of Natural history has a good page to begin your shark/ray reading http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/sharks.htm and the University of the Virgin Islands has a good intro to coral reefs site - http://www.uvi.edu/coral.reefer/. Those resources will pretty much cover what I remember of the test. Maybe Pedro has some other suggestions?

Jackie

Jackie's reading selection is right on point. You will definitely see some marine animal questions, like rays, and some on coral reefs. Those questions could be the difference if everyone is about even with the dive knowledge ones. Open Water book review is important, so don't blow it off, it could make a difference of you making it to the next round. They usually have a certain number of candidates in mind, could be 20-30 people, so you need to score as high as you can.

Good luck to all.

Pedro

Back
Top Bottom