Vortex Springs Cavern Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I was told by Doc (the owner) that when he baught the place it was a mud hole with no flow and no cave. He baught it because of a very old picture he saw of the place and he thought he might be able to restore it. Doc is like a mad scientist...inventor kind of guy. There had been a mill on the property and the dam stopped the flow and the cave filled in.

Doc started digging. At first they used scuba and buckets. As they dug, little by little the flow started to push through and things started to open up. The process continues and that's what those pipes are that run back to the grate.

So, yes it was altered by man. A man built a mill that plugged up the cave and made it non-existand. Then another man came along and tried to repair the damage.

Mike-

At some point in time the "roof" was also blasted out of the original cavern- I remember when there WAS a cavern there. By strict definition, there is no longer one there- at leastnot one that is sufficient for teaching purposes.

n2thebluec:
I recently did the cavern course and my instructor insisted on taking me and my girlfriend to Vortex. Funny thing, my house is on Merrit's Millpond! I think Vortex is probably a bit small for cavern training, I mean, we had to kind of just run our line in a circle and puddle around in the entrance. Nevertheless, we got the first day done there then went to Jackson Blue and Shangrila for the second day.

Who was your instructor (if you dont mindmy asking- feel free to PM)? I am a frequent visitor to the Mill Pond- and have been for almost 10 years now- you have a lot of great cave in your backyard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom