Vyper Air or VT3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airizzy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to decide on a hoseless dive computer. I have narrowed the search down to the Suunto Vyper Air and the Oceanic VT3.

I am leaning toward the Vyper because of easier to read screen and user controls. However, I am not sure how I will like the E-compass and I wish there were more settings for altitude. Also, the manual says that the NDL are changed with the alt codes but says nothing about the depth gauge being calibrated for altitude. Does anyone know? Also he manual didn't say if the ascent rate indicator was displayed while in compass mode. Can anyone confirm if it is or not?

My next choice is a VT3. I wanted to put it in the retractor mount with the compass. I dive alot in low vis and really rely on my compass. I am drawn to this set up because I know the compass will be there and easy to read.

So what do you all think?
ImageVaultHandler.aspx

or
p_computers_vtpro_compass1.jpg

Last edited:
I personally have the VT3 with the transmitter. So far it hasn't given me a days worry.
The Vyper is also well rated. What ever you decide in the end, you will have a good dive computer.

Whether you're diving in the ocean or at altitude, your depth gauge won't change. It's not the depth you dive but rather the change in atmospheric pressure whilst diving at altitude which will affect the rate of nitrogen loading at any given depth relative to sea level. The higher you go the less atmospheric pressure acting on the body of water. The less pressure, the less nitrogen is absorbed into your body tissue. The less nitrogen absorbed, the longer you can dive.......

I think your main point of focus should be on your computer / compass set-up. I take it you're going write mounted rather than an SPG type console?

If you want to see both of them in action (I mean underwater) before making the final decision you can take them for a virtual dive with our simulator and/or take the related online class.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I tried both dive computers on DiveNav's dive simulators. The Vyper Air is my favorite but the sim left some questions. The dive sim showed that the Ascent rate indicator was off while the compass was on. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Because I use a compass so much I am a little concerned about the e-compass. If I need an analog compass anyway I may as well get the less expensive computer. The VT3 with the compass setup would be about the same price as the Vyper alone.

+1 for the VT3
I don't like electronic compasses you can't tell when they are being effected by terrain. With a good standard underwater compass you can recognize when the campass isn't behaving normally.
Suunto computers tend to be conservative which isn't a bad thing although I prefer conservativizm to be my choice. With the VT3 there is a conservative mode you can activate if you feel the need.
As a final note I prefer how the VT3 has its tranmitter coded in over the way Suunto polls when activated. This polling can lead to reading another nearby Suunto users transmitter instead of yours.

Go with the Vyper Air, most analog compass end up with air bubble in them which make them useless. Beside oceanic is coming out with a copy of the Vyper Air this summer might as well use the original then a copy. The VT3 was a response to suunto Vytec. At the end of a week of diving their algorithm works out to the same.

+1 for the VT3 - but I prefer the wrist mount with a second transmitter on my buddy's (wife) rig.

I use the Vyper Air on my right wrist and a Suunto SK7 on my left wrist. Both in DSS bungee mounts. Both work a treat. I don't like the Vyper Air compass but have it calibrated so I can use it as a backup just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom