Wakatobi vs Lizard Island vs Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I went to Wakatobi a few years ago and can't wait to go back. It was absolutely fabulous. The diving was terrific. The food was excellent. The staff was wonderful. You won't regret it!

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Millemar: In true ScubaBoard fashion, you asked for opinions and you got them. For a special anniversary, you can't go wrong with any of your choices, but based on experiences of all my dive buddies and LDS pals, Wakatobi or the Maldives might give you that anniversary peacefulness you seek with great diving, with the nod towards Wakatobi. What I like about ScubaBoard are the many who are nice enough to provide great advice. Both on travel and photography, I've learned a ton and greatly appreciate the many experts helping, Quero, being one on travel, and Interceptor21, being one for photography. What I never understand is taking issue with someone's opinion. It's just that, an opinion. I teach with folks who would rather dive a ship wreck in Lake Michigan in 20 feet of visibility and 49 degree water temperature than anything in warm water. I think they are nuts, but they are still my pals. I'm now going to spend a hour planning our driving route to a hiking vacation in Yosemite National Park next month, order a new Canon S100 camera with a FIX housing and Fisheye wide angle lens (thanks, Interceptor), then go to see my beloved Chicago White Sox play a game. A great day. Cubs fans hate the White Sox, but none of my Cubs fan friends hate me for being a White Sox fan...it's just my opinion versus theirs...no harm, no foul.

Rob

Are you saying you chose specifically to pick a fight with me because you have some past history of disagreement with my views (which I've actually forgotten, whatever it was)? Why do you feel the need? All of this because of the use of a single word that you believe is trite?
Not seeing this like a fight and pls don't try to rewrite the sequence of this thread. I reacted on the word "exotic", cited facts about the Maldives and then my opinion on the destinations. To one's each and that's OK.
But no... as well you could decide to entitle everybody his own opinion on our disagreement, you needed to nail your own, arguing about your own customers feedback (vs. personal opinion-cited in your post in italic in order to stress the point).
And now you're complaining I am replying !? Is there a hidden SB rule that you should always have the last word on any conversation and have better reasons for so?

Sorry I won't comment on your points above, I won't waste your time since you don't even seem to read what I wrote (for instance haven't I written "I am not saying europeans are ultimately right" before you start declaiming long forgotten latin) or you even cut my sentences wrongly (associated my stance on Seychelles which was refering to high end tourism with the start of the next paragraph - FYI, communication code implies that when you end a sentence with a "." and skip a line, it means you're refering to something else.).

You don't like thinking out of the box and prefer sticking strictly to the words. I prefer trying to figure out possibilities rather than sticking to plain words. I don't think the boards added value are limited to responding questions like they were search engines (ie. ask Maldives and Wakatobi/ retrieve Maldives and Wakatobi answer) just because when someone asks a question, in 99% of the cases, there are more factors behind than reading the plain words.

As I'm progressing through SB, I am pinning down some reference points on my mental map of the board... hence I'll just put one more a mark in my mind I'll try not to forget in the future.
So far that goes like :
Philippines board = too much fishing for clients around Malapascua.
Indonesia board / Bali = heavy fishing, been caught once until the guys realized on premise I'm a too big fish with very big teeth. Were very sorry that day :cool2:.
Thailand forum = same Phuket bunch, avoid reporting anything wrong on Racha Yai (their bread and butter), avoid posting at all.
Malaysia forum = avoid saying anything on Scubajunkie or on expat diveguides.
Quero = needs to make her point, do not reply.
At least one good thing done.

Thanks for clarifying, Quero. Having just booked an expensive trip to the Maldives, as you might remember, I started crying after reading Luko's post thinking I just booked a way overpriced trip to the Haigh Quarry outside Chicago. I do know that Indonesia and Wakatobi are better diving, but I am hoping that the Maldives is better than anything I've seen in the Caribbean, which is my only point of reference...and Lake Michigan.

Rob

Do not worry - Maldives has some awesome diving. I live in Singapore and have been multiple times to Maldives (5 times and returning in November) and Indonesia (countless times); diving can be fantastic in both countries (as well as average sometimes). There is less diversity in Maldives, but you tend to see more pelagics and big schools of fish, and the corals can be beautiful as well (unfortunately below 15m only as the rest suffered from bleaching).

Now if you are macro nut, go to Wakatobi by all means, you may also run into a turtle if you are lucky :)

I read through those posts/rants painfully- thanks Luko.

Millemar:
We want a nice quiet place with a great beach, great service, and of course great diving.

I have worked in a few different resorts in the Maldives and it sounds pretty much what you're after. The vast majority of the resorts are quiet- apart from the Italian style animation resorts. The beaches are swept clean after every tide, the service is usually very good and the diving is generally great with good chances to find things like turtles, sharks etc.

Thank you all for the opinions and advice. My conclusion is that Wakatobi would be great, as long as we don't mind not seeing pelagics. If we want to see bigger fish/rays, etc., then it sounds as though Maldives would also be a great choice. I think we will eventually visit both - just a matter of time and money.

millemar -

Simply, I'd vote Wakatobi. they will take great care of you and help make the anniversary special. The diving is beautiful and sitting on the end of the dock to watch the sunset is pretty danged nice. Get a beach front villa, for your purposes it's worth the extra cash (or go whole hog and upgrade to their best!)

I stayed at the villa way at the end of the resort and it was perfect.

Back
Top Bottom