WalMart Divers Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought my Pelican super sabre (3 C's) for 42 CDN at our local Acklands-Grainger store in London, ON.

About $5 to $10 cheaper than the dive store.

Even better were the nemo 4C/6C lights ... these were $60-ish .. seems like about 20-30 cheaper.

FLL Diver:
When I get some time, I'll take a few pictures of the light and a SabreLite and do a side by side comparison. I've flooded out a couple lights in my time, but invariably it's been due to user error, and not light design. (waddya mean I got to grease those o-rings once every few years?). I'll also let everyone know how they stand up to their intended task.

I finally got some time and some dives in to test the light and to compare it to a real SabreLite. See the results here.

Marc

As far as buying gear from walmart... Shackels, Stainless caribeeners, batteries, rope, dive gloves, my magnadoodle slate for $5... they have some great deals, including a couple small lights garanteed to 1000' But I would not trust their gear, even the lights, if it can fail until I had tested it with something else to back it up.

Now, as for the tinny tiny penlights, they are perfect for reading gauges.

As for brands of lights, I exclusively use Pelican. I've had excelent luck with them. It's the only light I've ever seen last until I lost it. It's explosion proof (I am told) the guarantee is excelent. I've never had one fail on me, or on anyone I knew. I've known them to survive abuse I wouldn't give an anvil.

What can I say. It may not be a thousand watt canister light that you can use to boil fish and warm up on deco stops, but it works. I trust any light they make.

Yes, I use my penlight for reading my gauges, my d cell for monitoring my wetnotes, my helmet mounted maglights for looking forward, my yokelight for backing up, along with the little beeping alarm, my third backup to my primary secondary light for observing my deco schedule..............

1 primary 18w HID, 2 scoutlights for backups, no helmet. How difficult can you people make this?

Kevin Ripley:
Yes, I use my penlight for reading my gauges, my d cell for monitoring my wetnotes, my helmet mounted maglights for looking forward, my yokelight for backing up, along with the little beeping alarm, my third backup to my primary secondary light for observing my deco schedule..............

Jeez Kevin, isn't that just a little bit overboard? I don't think all that stuff is really that necessary. Maybe you should reconsider your gear. I hear DIR has a pretty good set up, maybe you should look into it.

Marc

FLL Diver:
Jeez Kevin, isn't that just a little bit overboard? I don't think all that stuff is really that necessary. Maybe you should reconsider your gear. I hear DIR has a pretty good set up, maybe you should look into it.

Marc

Thanks Marc, I'll take that under advisement. :crafty:

I remember dropping onto the Eastcliffe Hall (50' deep freighter near Morrisburg) earlier in the year and watching a member of a crew from our neighbouring province plow down the line and into the bottom wearing a single tank, helmet with 2 lights, a large handheld lights clipped off to each hip and 3 reels dangling off him. This thread is starting to take on shades of that moment.

There are times when too much light can be a problem.

As an example, you have 6" of visibility, and you need to check your gauges. If you light up an 18w can light it'll be like driving down a foggy road with your brights on. A little 1w penlight allows you to see those gauges without completely blinding yourself.

Seabear70:
There are times when too much light can be a problem.

As an example, you have 6" of visibility, and you need to check your gauges. If you light up an 18w can light it'll be like driving down a foggy road with your brights on. A little 1w penlight allows you to see those gauges without completely blinding yourself.

You are mistaken.

To elaborate Halcyon 18watt HID's have a focusable beam (I am sure others do too but I have no experience with other makes). If it is set to a broad spread granted it will blind you. When it is focused you have a defined beam of light as seen in many pictures. This focus beam does not blind you. It is actually one of the few lights that will get the job done in the situation you have described. Besides if the vis was that bad you would be thumbing the dive.

Here is a picture of some relatively poor visibility. Notice the focused beam. There isn’t any blinding back scatter

Wouldn't be te first time., but I've lived through all of the others, too.

Back
Top Bottom