WalMart Divers Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua Ho:
technically it's not, they usually run me $5 a bottle! :11ztongue

I would guess that the air is free, putting it in the bottle is what costs you :wink: ..... Now ... if you are paying extra for the air, I can sell you some. cheap.

I dive light like most of the diving gear should be something you ca rely on. Nobody wants to have a night dive with both flashlights dead, so stick with the good reliable gear from specialized dive shops.
Yes sometimes is worth trying some cheap substitute but most of the time good quality stuff cannot be found at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

StingRob

FLL Diver:
I was in a WalMart up here over the weekend looking for a kid's life jacket and in the boating section I come across what looks exactly like a Pelican Super SabreLite, except it says North 49 on it. The packaging is pretty plain, typical Made In China but it does say summersible divers light good to 100m. It was $8.97. For the price I figure what the heck thinking it might make a good daytime light and grabbed one.

Has anyone actually tried these lights out? Do these things actually work? I thought maybe they were the real thing, just distributed by the offshore manuafacturer under their own name. If so, I'm going to start bringing them down to Florida and I'll make a a fortune selling them. :)

Marc

I spent $1153 on my canister primary light and $160 on two very reliable backups. I have spontaneously loaned these backups to buddies underwater when their lights' batteries died or when wonder of wonders it gets dark and they whip out a microscopic penlight to use as a "primary" (against my 10W HID..... yeah buddy I'll see you all right)

I had been considering my gear as I went. I own a perfectly reliable 6C Princeton Tec light as well - it has moved down the food chain and is now a loaner light for ill-prepared buddies to borrow.

I will not dive with makeshift, cheap or "re-engineered" stuff that I may possibly have to rely on during a dive. Sure it's not everyday that a person can spend >$1000 on a light, but in my case, I had my tax return in hand and had to decide between the light I got, or a few similar and cheaper knock-offs. The question is - when the stuff hits the fan and you REALLY NEED the light or especially your backup lights, would you feel safer knowing you had a proven, reliable, even if expensive light, or would you be crossing your fingers that your $8.00 light will work and not flood?

(FWIW if the depth rating on the Wal-Mart light is anything like the depth rating on watches, I have "drowned" two Timexes which were rated to 100m/325'...........)

I bet FLL Diver doesn't post here again! But advice is sound - if you NEED a light, its life support equipment.

I bought a couple of UK lights at Walmart. Yes, Underwater Kinetics. Same light, same manufacturere, same package, as I've seen in the LDS...

However, I should point out that it's the little 2-AAA light that's pretty worthless for diving. Great for inspecting the inside of my PC, though.

I saw them in Walmart on two occasions about three years ago, but haven't seen 'em since. $7.00 at Walmart and about $20.00 in the LDS.

I use $6.00 Walmart neporene fishing gloves, but wouldn't trust no-name Walmart gear in any important function. I plan on getting my rebreather parts from Home Depot :0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom