Walmart Gear Tote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few buddies of mine use a 'beach rolly' for their (SM) tanks but they put the suit on and get ready by the car. I guess I never dove anywhere with staging area. I always put all my stuff on by the car and walk.
This is what some people use here:
Those look nice. Looks like a foldable version of what we call a “garden cart”.

So there's a secret about the folding wagons you need to look for or else you'll get burned like several of us FL divers, me included.

On the wheels, some are welded to the "SIDE" of the kart frame {quicker=cheaper}. The good ones have holes drilled thru the middle of the frame and it's 3 times as strong. If you are loaded up with tanks and gear,,,,on each curb, crack, or board walk you run the wheels over, it will stress the cheap welds and eventually crack and break. The karts with the wheel pins mounted THRU the frame and not on the side have been really good for us. I load 2 steel tanks +gear (~175lbs) and tug it over cobble stone walkway about 1000ft from my car down the charter docks and it hasn't cracked. Mine's the store brand from Academy Sports in Fla, but they all get made overseas. Just look close at the wheel attachment.

View attachment 808506
Wow, that is some excellent insight based on experience. Much appreciated!

Anyone ever use one of these as a gear tote for shore dives? Seems too large to take on a boat. I saw one at the store today and it seemed to be really sturdy…but it’s so darn BIG!
I have a tote similar to that, (maybe HDX brand?) which would probably work. The main limitation is usually the wheels, and the terrain you'll be going over.

A Pelican case would probably be the sturdiest equivalent, but also far more pricey.

I use a regular wagon I picked up from Costco and just lock my keys in the bed of my truck (locked canopy). The team branded ones from Costco are crap. The handles aren't secure. This wagon can haul 2 steel 100s, 1 pony bottle, 2 sets weights for cold water, 2 BC, and all the extra crap.
This style of folding wagons often claim they're rated for 300lbs, but I've seen numerous brands/models of these break frequently, even carrying no more than 75lbs at any time. The problem is that's "300lbs .... in a parking lot" As soon as you add any kind of stairs, ramps, curbs, rocks, bumps, graven, sand, dirt-path, etc to the mix, even a couple scuba-tanks (50lbs) is enough to wear them down quickly. They typically have no suspension or squishy-tires, so every bump is like hitting it with a hammer over and over.

I currently have this red folding cart (also rated 300lbs), that broke on first use. The wheels fell off and axels bent not that far from the car, lol. I've thought about putting on a sturdier axel and some kind of wheels with tires. (the problem I have is my car's trunk is really small, so even something like a folding hand-truck / "moving dolly" doesn't fit)

1698807899487.png

Husky box works pretty good.. this is a newer version.. mine doesnt have the locking key..

The previous house owners graciously left me a multifaceted travelling stuff around device

054.JPG

And unless it's a favorite wreck I'm never clambering again, so grabbed one of these things

107.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom