Want to buy: .223 powerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of Ray Odor's .223 PPD. Someone posted the link to the site above. I definitely recommend it. Very easy to use and very very effective. I just keep it up my wetsuit sleeve until I need it and then you can get it out quick and slip it onto the shaft. Check out the "killspike" on the website also. Very nice for when you have your spear out and are not prepared for Mr. Grey Suit. BOOM!!!

Dryglove:
You can buy some special stuff to seal the primer and bullet head or just use finger nail poilish.

Hello everyone,

I used a .223 powerhead back in the early 70's for a number of years on the tip of my spear. I used a free spear.

One day I shot at a very large fish, I missed. The powerhead hit a rock. The impact/recoil sent the spear back at me with twice the velocity. The Spear went just over my head by 6 inches and landed about 20 feet behind me.

Obvisiously, if the spear had been 6 inches lower it would have killed me... So, powerheads on the tip of a spear are very dangerous.....

I stopped using the powerhead on the tip of my spear. I would only carry it on a pole spear as self-defense for sharks while spearfishing back in the 70-80's..

I very seldom spearfish anymore and I don't carry the powerhead even if I do spearfish.

gpatton:
One day I shot at a very large fish, I missed. The powerhead hit a rock. The impact/recoil sent the spear back at me with twice the velocity. The Spear went just over my head by 6 inches and landed about 20 feet behind me.

Obvisiously, if the spear had been 6 inches lower it would have killed me... So, powerheads on the tip of a spear are very dangerous.....
OK I'm calling BS on this one folks,did not happen,could not happen. I did get a lot of laughs from friends when I told them this one.With just a few friends called,I had talked to over 10,000 dives spearfishing with powerheads worth of experience.Commercial and rec alike.The recoil in foot pounds of force for a .223 in likely much less than 10lbs,assuming a perfect transfer of energy and a perfect recoil effect the spear might travel a few feet a slow speed.Normally the powerhead will self-destruct upon impact with an immovable object furthur decreasing the available energy.
Sounded good though.

Dryglove:
You can buy some special stuff to seal the primer and bullet head or just use finger nail poilish.

from what i hear, fingernail polish works well enough

you need to apply it two places:

1. around the neck of the case where the bullet enters the case; and

2. at the head (bottom) of the case, where the primer is.

100days-a-year:
OK I'm calling BS on this one folks.

Agreed, I say BS also. The power of the gases exploding form a sphere ball-like shape as it exits the chamber. All the energy is immediately absorbed from the surrounding water density, because the charge is so instantaneous. It will take a long sustained force to propel the spear backwards. Unusual and creative thought process though.

gpatton:

hmmm... forgive me, but i am a bit skeptical of the physics involved here

100days-a-year:
OK I'm calling BS on this one folks,did not happen,could not happen.

I used my powerhead a lot back in the late 70's and 80's, I didn't believe a powerhead could propel a shaft back at me with a lot of energy either, but it did....

The powerhead I used is different than the powerheads that connect the barrel to its base by firm fitting o-rings and uses the blow-back to eject the shell. My powerhead barrel is screwed onto its base and enclosed firing pin. This is one reason why I think more energy was transfer back into propelling the powerhead and shaft back at me...

Also, 25 years ago, I used a light weight 36 inch shaft in a pneumatic Mares Jaguar.

So, you can believe it or not. I just hope your last words are not; "aaaahh, uuggh, Glenn wasn't BSing me!" but then again that is why they created the Darwin awards...

guy, ten feet of water is enough to stop a .50 cal bullet

and you are telling me that this spear, launched by a .223, went forward an
unknown number of feet, and then traveled backward, on recoil, 20 feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom