Want to buy: .223 powerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
guy, ten feet of water is enough to stop a .50 cal bullet

and you are telling me that this spear, launched by a .223, went forward an
unknown number of feet, and then traveled backward, on recoil, 20 feet?

Oh, ye of little faith! An open mind is a good thing, even for an attorney....

First, .50 cal bullet ballastics is a poor analogy. Second, I am not sure if it was 20, 15 or 12 feet behind me. I did have a tape measure. The point is the shaft went over my head so fast it would have definitely come out the other side of my skull.

A better analogy is the SMG speargun. The SMG was powered by .22 blanks. I never fired one but they can propel a shaft with incredible power. i have watched a dive buddy shoot fish with a SMG, it was impressive and I am sure the shaft would very easily travel 20 to 30 feet with the blanks.

I did a search on Spearboard.com for "SMG Speargun" and got
http://www.spearboard.com/forum/search.php?searchid=491078

http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22542&highlight=smg+speargun

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3382/smg44ln.jpg

gpatton:
Oh, ye of little faith! An open mind is a good thing, even for an attorney....

skepticism is the hallmark of the post-modern mind :14:

or as Hemingway said, every writer needs a built-in B.S. detector (so
we don't pick just on lawyers)

so... it wasn't 20 feet behind you... ok, you admit that your story
wasn't exactly ... accurate .. a slight exaggeration... ok.... good to know

apparently, these Johnsons have a range of about 15 feet.
look at what OceanEd has to say:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=20074

so, let's say you shot at about 4 feet range. thing goes out, hits a rock,
comes back to you (that's 8 feet) and keeps going for 7 feet.

maybe. on a good day. if everything lines up.

by the time it gets to you, it has spent over half its energy anyway.
seriously doubt it could go through your skull at that point.

H2Andy:
guy, ten feet of water is enough to stop a .50 cal bullet

and you are telling me that this spear, launched by a .223, went forward an
unknown number of feet, and then traveled backward, on recoil, 20 feet?

Now, I am an idiot, I will admit (Wayward can back me up on this).

But in his defense, I was watching Myth Busters, and they were doing a show on bullets being shot into water. It showed, the higher the velocity, the less distacne the bullet would go before breaking up. The blackpowder musket had the best distance underwater.

So, the .50 cal reference doesn't apply

anything else about this argument, I am clueless, but glad to help, none the less :D

H2Andy:
by the time it gets to you, it has spent over half its energy anyway.
seriously doubt it could go through your skull at that point.

yeah, but, mask glass, shaft to the eye, ow ow ow, day ruined. you're in the water, blood in the water, sharks in the water (insert theme from jaws)

photohikedive:
I was watching Myth Busters, and they were doing a show on bullets being shot into water. It showed, the higher the velocity, the less distacne the bullet would go before breaking up. The blackpowder musket had the best distance underwater.

were they shooting at an angle to the surface? the greatest energy dissipation comes when the bullet hits the water, and will pretty much shatter
any bullet, regardless of caliber. they'll stop in 3 to 4 feet of water.

if you shoot straight down to the water (at a 90 degree angle), most bullets
will go much further, about 8 to 10 feet.

photohikedive:
yeah, but, mask glass, shaft to the eye, ow ow ow, day ruined. you're in the water, blood in the water, sharks in the water (insert theme from jaws)

this is what he said, and what i was responding to:

gpatton:
Obvisiously, if the spear had been 6 inches lower it would have killed me... So, powerheads on the tip of a spear are very dangerous.....

They gave up trying to shoot straight down, after the guy with the moustache blew up the water tank they had built. They were shooting at an angle into the pool. Had a target rack built, the bullets never made it halfway, except the black powder, it made it most the way, if I remember correctly.

photohikedive:
They gave up trying to shoot straight down, after the guy with the moustache blew up the water tank they had built.

yeah... much more different if you shoot straight down... the bullet retains
energy for much longer

and shooting straight down is more comparable to shooting within the
same medium (i.e. in the water).

but... apparently, these spearguns can shoot up to 15 feet or so, which
is more than an .50 cal can travel underwater even at a 90 degree angle

so... yeah... not a good comparison

Hey I watched a movie the other night where this guy was in a submerged airplane and he knocked the valve off a 80 and it took off like a rocket and blew up the whole plane. I don't find it inconceivable that a spear coming at a diver backwards could cause such an explosion within a person's head. I mean like Duh!!

Jokes aside - the bullet in the powerhead does little damage - it is the expanding gasses from the cartridge that causes the damage to whatever is shot. A blank does just as well as a live round and is not as dangerous on the surface.

One note of advice - When you shoot a big bull or hammerhead, don't forget to pull the safety pin.

Wayward Son:
I've never seen a powerhead that ejects the shell.

x2....

Also.... the guy who claims the shaft launched back at him also stated that the point of the shaft was the end coming back at him...

So... the shaft hit the rock.... did a 180 and flew back at him.... not to mention that the rock surface was perfectly flush with him and the angle he shot at was about 10 degrees adjacent to the rock to cause the shaft to be propelled back at him in such a linear maner....

damn...... maybee you should write the guy who directed/wrote "Into The Blue".... that BS would have a huge lobbyist movement out there trying to take our powerheads away!

LOL

Not saying it didn't happen... but well.... I guess you should have played the lotto the same day...

Jorgy

P.S.
Sorry to bring up a dead thread... but I couldn't hold it back...

Back
Top Bottom