Want to buy: .223 powerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fast97rs:
x2....

Also.... the guy who claims the shaft launched back at him also stated that the point of the shaft was the end coming back at him...

Not saying it didn't happen... but well.... I guess you should have played the lotto the same day...

Jorgy

check out

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=26506&highlight=powerhead

There are some other accounts of this happening......

Again, you can believe it or not. I just hope your last words are not; "aaaahh, uuggh, Glenn wasn't BSing me!" but then again that is why they created the Darwin awards...

Glenn

PS As for the powerhead that eject the shell. A dive friend had a powerhead that the barrel fit into the base with tight fitting o-rings (not screwed on) the barrel had a cable around it's neck, the cable was attached to the base and when fired the barrel would disengage from the base cause by the blow-back. I thought the shell was ejected. This is a similar function to a lot of semi-auto hand guns.

IMO, these type of Slip-on Powerheads are safer because a lot of energy is released when the barrel comes off of the base. Check out "JimC" account of pool testing at
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=26506&highlight=powerhead A lot of energy went into ejecting case/shell out of the barrel and blowing up the case/shell.

I use fingernail polish as well. I put two coats on. Coat the crimp and primer. I use .223
PH and have sucess with both blank rounds and live rounds. I normally discard them after a dive and replace them with fresh rounds.

i've heard fingernail polish works (i don't spearfish, but guys i know swear by it)

like james said, coat the groove in the back (primer) and where the bullet
sits on the neck

gpatton:
A better analogy is the SMG speargun. The SMG was powered by .22 blanks. I never fired one but they can propel a shaft with incredible power. i have watched a dive buddy shoot fish with a SMG, it was impressive and I am sure the shaft would very easily travel 20 to 30 feet with the blanks.
I did a lot of spearfishing as a kid - my 3-slong Arbalete was as long as I was. But that SMG was just THE most awesome piece of underwater harpoonery - with the four barrel model, I would have taken on anything out there. It was the Bouee Fenzy of spearguns.

I know this is an older thread but I stumbled across this.

"It became more than evident that powerheads were extremely dangerous when Jack Prodanovich lost his righ eye during test firing of a powerhead in a swimming pool. The shaft went out and hit the target, but the detonation of the powerhead blasted the spearshaft backward penetrating Jack's faceplate and right eye. This unfortunate incident was captured on film by Lamar Boren."

And here is the link to the site.
http://rocknfish.com/Rollergun.html

100days-a-year:
OK I'm calling BS on this one folks,did not happen,could not happen. I did get a lot of laughs from friends when I told them this one.With just a few friends called,I had talked to over 10,000 dives spearfishing with powerheads worth of experience.Commercial and rec alike.The recoil in foot pounds of force for a .223 in likely much less than 10lbs,assuming a perfect transfer of energy and a perfect recoil effect the spear might travel a few feet a slow speed.Normally the powerhead will self-destruct upon impact with an immovable object furthur decreasing the available energy.
Sounded good though.

It happened, and it happened many times.

Since you are a spear fisherman you are probably familar with the California Bottom Scratchers formed in 1932.

Jack Prodanovich is one of the surviving members--with one eye. A report of his terrible accident was published in the defunct Skin Diver magazine and warned divers about blow back.

SDM

H2Andy:
guy, ten feet of water is enough to stop a .50 cal bullet

and you are telling me that this spear, launched by a .223, went forward an
unknown number of feet, and then traveled backward, on recoil, 20 feet?
Intrestingly the mythbusters and other research indicates that the higher the volicity of the round the shorter the penetration into water. This is because at higher volicitys (anything exceeding the speed of sound in water) cause shock waves in the incompressable water. This causes extreamly fast deceleration, generating fources beyond what the round can stand.

Low volicity round (subsonic 9mm) can penetrate further in water than 30.06 round, which disentegrate almost instantly on contact with water. I have done this (with 9mm subsonic 145 gr rounds) and get 12 to 15 ft penetration and intact rounds.

Also note that, in the spear recoile event described, that once the gasses are outside of the power head, the direction that they travel is irrelivant. The acceleration to likely to be totaly the result of Newtons law of motion, there is no pushing agains anything needed (wall or water). Not that I have ever used a powerhead, but the energy is likely to be exactly the power of the recoil of a rifle firing the same round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom