Wanted: Snark III parts diagram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vintagediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I need a Nemrod Snark III exploded parts diagram or links to any information about it.
I decided to resurect it after many years in the garage. I put it on a tank today and it still works however I am concerned about the wildlife that has taken up residence in the exhaust side.

If you have a copy of "Basic Scuba" by Fred Roberts....and as a vintage diver you should :) ... there is an exploded diagram, functional description and maintance information on pages 147 to 152 (second edition, first edition may be different).

I am not sure that I ever had that one. It seems that I had lost most of my literature after divorce and can't remember what I had before that. I will have to get a copy. I have seen the diagram somewhere but I can't recall where. I looked in all of the libraries available, VDH and Vintage Scuba, but no luck. Anyway, it doesn't seem like there are many parts available for the Snark III.

We had several forums on the Snark III in Vintage Scuba Supply's website:

Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum - Nemrod Snark III Silver balancing kit?

Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum - WORST BREATHING VINTAGE REGULATOR

I will say that if you can salvage the diaphragm and non-return on the case, you should be able to resurrect the Snark III without much problems. It's a pretty robust design. You may need to rub some medical grade silicone grease onto these rubber parts to do it. But If you can, then the regulator should work just fine. Be sure the disassemble the over-pressure relief valve (the "third stage"), as it is critical to ensuring that this regulator, with an upstream second stage, doesn't overpressure in case of a high pressure seat leak. If you are not confident in doing this, then send it out to one of the vintage diving sites for repair.

SeaRat

The diagram has been posted at VDH. You can do a search over there to find it.

From what I have heard, the US Divers diaphragm will fit it perfectly. Meaning you could use a reproduction silicone diaphragm, which is much more flexible than any original diaphragm. On the US Divers regulators they tend to improve the breathing performance by a measurable amount.

If you need parts, we have some friends in Spain that may be able to help, but as mentioned above, you may probably wont need much. There are some others around here that may have some parts.

There are a couple of threads on VDH were some of our members from Spain have provided good information.

Good luck

I have just confirmed that the USD diaphragm will work on the Snark III. But try very hard to regenerate that mushroom valve for the non-return on the case. It is very large, and probably you will have a hard time finding a replacement.

SeaRat

I use a reproduction silicone single stage diaphragm on my Snark III. I used to use a USD 2 stage diaphragm on it (rotate so the tabs don't hit anything).

Do you have a Snark III or a Snark III Silver? They are somewhat different internally.

Snarkdiagram.jpg

Snark III Silver parts.jpg

I use a reproduction silicone single stage diaphragm on my Snark III. I used to use a USD 2 stage diaphragm on it (rotate so the tabs don't hit anything).

Do you have a Snark III or a Snark III Silver? They are somewhat different internally.

QUOTE]

Thats good news about the diaphragm. I have a Snark III.
Going to crack it open tonight and give it a soak.
The hoses are bad news so I'm off to VDH for a new hose kit and diaphragm.
Is the mushroom non-return in the Snark III the Silver or both?
I was just planning on using the duckbill.
Oh well, I'll find out when I break it down.
Thanks everyone for the information...

I have a USD repro silicone diaphragm in my Snark III Silver and it works very well. I was able to get both seats and a return valve from the people Luis mentioned. I have, in the past, substituted a duckbill in both the older Snark III and the Silver. That solution worked just fine. I really like the Snark III . Once set up they are a fine breathing regulator.

Both the Snark III and the Snark III silver use the same mushroom.

I can e-mail you slightly higher resolution scans if you need them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom