Wanted: Snark III parts diagram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is so nice to see that Luis has given everyone correct information. Now that JCR has verified it, I feel so much better.

Simonbeans,

I wasn't questioning Luis, but I had not heard that before. Since my Snark III is broken down, and I have a diaphragm, I wanted to see for myself. It took me about five minutes (walk out to the garage, grab the regulator and diaphragm, and try it). The fit is not quite exact, but close enough with the flexibility of the diaphragm to work well. The thought never occurred to me before, so I really appreciated Luis mentioning it.

SeaRat

The way you said it made you sound like the "authority" to question Luis about his knowledge about DH regs. No matter how much many of us try, he has forgotten more than I or most others will ever learn. As to the Snark III, VDH has known about the diaphram fit since the silicone diaphrams were reproduced as well as most of the internals of USD, Voit regs. Maybe it is time to check out the real vintage double hose website.

Alright, quit sniping....
I Got the Snark apart cleaned and back together.
It was perfect inside and now out.
I see what you mean about the large mushroom. It was in good shape. Stuck a little but came loose in a hot soapy bath and is still supple. The diaphragm is so good I am going to leave it alone for now.Sanded the high pressure seat a bit, changed the high pressure diaphragm, and the low pressure seat looked brand new.
All of the rubber except for the hoses looked great.
Back together and works well.

Why is this a 3 stage regulator? Pressure is reduced in 2 steps.

Last edited:
Vintagediver,

The Snark III was advertised as a "three stage" regulator because it has the overpressure relief valve, which is actually a safety feature required by its upstream second stage design. It is in fact a two stage regulator, as you state. But the Nemrod company used this as a sales ploy.

SeaRat

What did you use for the high pressure (actually IP) diaphragm?

Cool!!!

For reference, do you have the diameter and thickness of the original diaphragm?

Thanks,

I didn't think to get a measurement. I just picked one slightly larger I had in my stack o stuff and used a die cutter (razor imbedded in a block of wood / with mallet) to nibble it to match.
Not precise but it works. The original is too distorted to get a good measurement.

Just an FYI. The high pressure seats in the original Snark III must have a conical insert and are not near as robust as the seat out of a DA. I remember the bearing surface actually shrinking as I tried to refinish it. So, easy does it!!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom