Warm water, easy logistics trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far, we've mostly just gotten ex-students and friends on these trips. Experience has ranged from beginners to pretty experienced folks. I think the two main motivations for doing this are that Peter likes to organize things, and that, as the trip organizer, we get to travel at a reduced cost ourselves.

Some of the friends who are into doing these trips with us are only warm water divers, which is why the warm water criterion. We've done some of the other trips you mention on our own and enjoyed them enormously.

So far, we've mostly just gotten ex-students and friends on these trips. Experience has ranged from beginners to pretty experienced folks. I think the two main motivations for doing this are that Peter likes to organize things, and that, as the trip organizer, we get to travel at a reduced cost ourselves.

Some of the friends who are into doing these trips with us are only warm water divers, which is why the warm water criterion. We've done some of the other trips you mention on our own and enjoyed them enormously.

In that case, have you considered the northern Red Sea around Sharm-al-Sheikh? The water is warm most of the year and unlike more central and southern parts of the Red Sea, the north is usually well protected and currents are not a major issue. Apart from diving from resorts, you may want to look at the week loing "Northern Wrecks & Reefs " liveaboard cruise, an itinerary which a lot of boats do and if you shop around, can cost around $1200 per person - excellent value.

In that case, have you considered the northern Red Sea around Sharm-al-Sheikh? The water is warm most of the year and unlike more central and southern parts of the Red Sea, the north is usually well protected and currents are not a major issue. Apart from diving from resorts, you may want to look at the week loing "Northern Wrecks & Reefs " liveaboard cruise, an itinerary which a lot of boats do and if you shop around, can cost around $1200 per person - excellent value.

They've "been there, done that"

:D

Unless you and your group have already done it to death, everything your looking for screams LCBR. The diving is beautiful and for all skill levels. Once you get them there the rest is taken care of. Good food, nice pool and bar area to hang out. Your main chore as group leader would be leading raucous choruses of "Yo Ho...A Pirates Life for Me" at the bar and setting up raffles and T-shirts etc... Could be a bit pricier than some, but if the group can afford it, the whine and complain factor would be low. IMHO

Unless you and your group have already done it to death, everything your looking for screams LCBR. The diving is beautiful and for all skill levels. Once you get them there the rest is taken care of. Good food, nice pool and bar area to hang out. Your main chore as group leader would be leading raucous choruses of "Yo Ho...A Pirates Life for Me" at the bar and setting up raffles and T-shirts etc... Could be a bit pricier than some, but if the group can afford it, the whine and complain factor would be low. IMHO

IMHO2. You can even sing "My Darling Clementine" at the bar, if you like. The bar staff will mix your own version of a cocktail if you ask.
As for the buffets, take a good look at everything that is an offer before you decide what to take. It is all good!

Nobody has mentioned it yet but I would add Lembeh to the list. The logistics from the West coast are pretty easy with a flight to Singapore and then Monado. The resorts are set up for groups and on site meals so work for a group. Muck diving is not for everyone, but there are other options close by to add a non muck diving component to the trip.

Bali is another option, lots of options to stay as a group and lots of options for diving. Mike Veitch and his partner Luca run a very good group oriented dive guide business.

Another option that would be interesting is Saba. NOT easy to get to from the West coast however.

Everything from Seattle to St. Maarten is overnight or multiple connections and they'd still have to get to Saba. I suppose they could all go via the ferry because any sort of group would fill all the flights so that would have to be coordinated way in advance. Plus where's a group going to stay?

Also there's:
not much travel on very small planes
Seems kind of counter to: Enjoy the short flight from St. Maarten to Saba, and one of the shortest commercial landing strips in the world. Flight: St. Maarten to Saba - YouTube

Otherwise I agree...

Also there's: Seems kind of counter to: Enjoy the short flight from St. Maarten to Saba, and one of the shortest commercial landing strips in the world. Flight: St. Maarten to Saba - YouTube

Otherwise I agree...
Dont know about from the US, but theres definetly not just "very small planes" flying to St. Maarten though...

I'd look really hard at Belize. It's about 8+ hrs. from SEA with one connection both ways.

Excellent diving, sharks, all sorts of nice reef. The bucket list adventurous can dive the Blue Hole but Turneffe and Lighthouse are the best.

If you want to do an AI there's a lot of them on the atolls. Most pick you up on the mainland and you dive/stay there all week. They get you out to the best sites nearby. Turneffe Island Resort, Turneffe Flats, Blackbird Cay, Thatch Cay - all are options. And there's more.

You can also stay on Ambergris at any number of resorts from simple to upscale or move south to the Placencia area.

In late spring/summer there's whale shark diving off Gladden Spit - the only place you can dive with them in this hemisphere. For that you need to stay in the south - it's too far from Ambergris. There are longer boat rides from that area out to the reef but nice beaches. Places like Hamanasi, Roberts Grove, Turtle Inn are very upscale, more affordable is somewhere like Laru Beya. In that area Splash Diving is a good option - they also bundle packages with some local resorts.

One advantage that area has is there's a lot of non-dive activities that are accessible. Ziplining, cave tubing, Mayan ruins tours, the Jaguar preserve, Howler monkeys, river tours, Cockscomb Nature Preserve. Even the Belize Zoo is supposed to be worth a look.

You fly into Belize City and there's a second short flight to either Ambergris or Placencia. On Maya Island Air those are usually overwing turboprops or smaller Cessna Caravan planes to the smaller airports. There's also a ferry to Ambergris.

One thing I forgot to mention about Grand Cayman is that with any sized group above 6-8 you'll basically be a private charter with most of the operators - except Red Sail or Fosters who handle the cruise traffic. So your group will be able to specify dive sites etc. Actually a private charter might actually be cheaper when split equally.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2014 at 10:46 AM ----------

Dont know about from the US, but theres definetly not just "very small planes" flying to St. Maarten though...
Did you watch the video? My point was that from St. Maarten - which I know is served by large commercial jetliners from the States - to Saba requires a flight on WinAir. On one of these: http://www.wings-aviation.ch/03-Reports/2011/NED-St-Maarten/DHC-6-300-01.jpg - an STOL aircraft. Any sort of group and they'll need to add a plane or two. And there's luggage restrictions also to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom