Warm Water Travel BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPro Go. We have 3 of them. As for the Zuma it's got those 3rd time recall pockets and my sons XXS has a leak as the bladder material is thin and weak. Looked like the material got pinched. I tried patching it but it won't hold air overnight. It's also lacking in attachment points. And getting the weight pockets in on a crowded dive boat is a pain in you know where.
Thankfully he's big enough for a XS Go. Me and my wife's GO's are 3+ years old and no issues other than service after 2 years.

We also use them for local dives but we don't dry suit dive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As you can see, you have a lot of choices. A BP/W is a great option but any "travel" BCD/back inflate should work for you unless you are really on the edge in weight. Most important is comfort and fit. Until I switched to BP/W I loved my Oceanic Islander and I still often recommend it.

My wife uses the Zuma, and several of her friends bought one and love it after borrowing hers. She got it to save on weight from her SeaQuest Diva. The Diva now stays at the house even on local trips.
I have several Zeagles and love them. I use a Scout for almost all of my single tank diving. Plenty of adjustments with the PFD sizing, back inflate, and some D rings, as well as a nice pocket on either side. Integrated weights on both.
The complaints that I have heard about both have, at least for me, been unfounded or non-issues. The weight pockets on the Zuma are not really hard to put in. In a horizontal trim wearing my Scout I don't lose things from the pockets when I use them. The big thing with any gear is to use it and understand how it works and practice with it. Too many people look for gear solutions when it is a skill (often skill retention) problem. FWIW, I think you're smart to get your own gear, now go dive and learn it and have fun

I doubt if you can find anything lighter than an Oxycheq UL plate with Travel wing. Oops, I just saw that they have become too proud of their 18# wing at $400. For that kind of $$$ I would look at the DSS krydex plate with one of their smaller wings.

Ness sells the regular series wing for $320. For the harness I would recommend their speed harness or just a plastic buckle and some webbing. You can add as many d-rings and you think you will need to cut down on weight.

+1 for an Aqualung Zuma. My wife has over 200 dives on her Zuma for diving mostly in Bali, Komodo, and Raja Ampat. She has not had problems with the BC, except that she had to replace the handles on her integrated wt pockets. For a quick fix, i just cut the plastic handles off the pocket and added a rope pull. Aqualung has sent her much improved wt pockets on warranty. She rolls the BC around her regs for her carry-on bag. The BC is light and simple without extra buoyancy or needless materials.

Gotta love the marketing blurb for the SP Litehawk.

"The Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black is commonly used for Extreme Depths, Recreation, Warm Water and more. "

Just how "extreme" are those depths? "Commonly"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend a BP/W set up. I posted awhile ago and can,t find it now but when I weighed my aluminum plate set up it came out right around 5lbs. This was with a HOG alu plate, 32lb wing, STA, basic one piece harness, and two ScubaPro style cam bands. I'm sure you could drop some more weight by using plastic cam buckles and the 23lb wing. This set up would work for travel and local diving and be much more robust than any product that the large manufacturers market as travel bc's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom