Warm Water Travel BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DSS Kydex plate and small tropical wing is just elegant for travel. Because it comes completely apart -- wing off the plate, cambands out of the plate -- you can pack it in very little space, and it weighs next to nothing. Because it's a continuous harness, fit is guaranteed.

I second this sentiment, I spent 26 days in SE Asia (9 flights) with my carry-on containing regs (+ my wifes), bc, Hollis Batfins, ScubaPro jet fins, 3 masks, 2 full 3/2 westsuits, plus 2 snorkels. My checked luggage was almost empty. Never any issues with the airlines, even the tiny Asia Air or Lion Air planes.

This is really YMMV. I flew Cathay Pacific from Chicago to Manila via Hong Kong and the counter person said my carryon was too big to fit in the rack it wasn't it was just puffy because I had a camera backpack in it and it was too heavy. She whipped out a scale and everything. However on the other legs of the flight no one said a thing. It was the most bizarre thing I ever seen because other people's carryons were larger than mine and probably heavier.

The DSS Kydex plate and small tropical wing is just elegant for travel. Because it comes completely apart -- wing off the plate, cambands out of the plate -- you can pack it in very little space, and it weighs next to nothing. Because it's a continuous harness, fit is guaranteed.

I like that solution as well. I dive an Express Tech with the small wing and basic harness ( I know, not the same thing) that breaks down in a similar fashion. While it doesn't roll up like a newspaper like some of the travel BCs, it does give you packing options.

Hey Stuartv, I wasn't complaining or chastising. I'm glad you have a good scenario that works for you. I was just answering your question as to why folks are concerned about gear weight and explaining why it works for me. All good. :)

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for their input. I'm in the process of evaluating some of the alternatives.

Same deal with my DSS stainless steel plate. And that much less weight I have to add on when I get there and get in the water. :)

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 10:00 PM ----------

I like that solution as well. I dive an Express Tech with the small wing and basic harness ( I know, not the same thing) that breakes down in a similar fashion. While it doesn't roll up like a newspaper like some of the travel BCs, it does give you packing options.

Hey Stuartv, I wasn't complaining or chastising. I'm glad you have a good scenario that works for you. I was just answering your question as to why folks are concerned about gear weight and explaining why it works for me. All good. :)

No worries! I didn't take it that way at all!

I have a DSS BP/W setup like TSandM was describing. For packing, the plate lays flat in the bottom and I roll the wing up around the inflator hose. It all packs up very nicely.

I have always been sort of the opposite of a light traveler. My philosophy is generally, if there's still room, why not take "it" (whatever "it" is at the time). When I fly, I pretty much always get at least one free checked bag, plus one carry-on and one "personal item". So, I will stuff my carry-on-sized suitcase with my scuba gear, stuff my personal item with other stuff I don't want to be separated from, and then stuff my checked bag to 49.5#. I would rather deal with a little extra hassle during transit than be wherever I'm going and not have MY stuff. :) But, I certainly realize a lot of people are totally not that way. Maybe when I'm a jaded old diver with barnacles growing in my beard, I'll care less about using my own stuff and more about convenience. :wink:

In the market for a vacation bcd that I'll use for Caribbean diving. Looking for suggestions. Will only use a couple of times a year for about 30 dives per year. Obviously weight is important but would sacrifice a few pounds for the right bcd. Tired of renting bcds that don't fit. Probably looking for a back inflated one. Thank you.

I travel with a full BP/W + weighted STA. Of course that means leaving 12lbs of other crap home... but most of us bring too much other crap anyway.

Here's what I brought to Bonaire for a week in December:

FullSizeRender_3_.jpg

You know you're a diver when you can fit a week's worth of clothes, toiletries, etc in your carryon... and STILL need two suitcases!

:d

A bit of crafty packing is all it takes. I flew to Croatia last summer with a stainless steel backplate, twinset wing, twinset regs, stage reg, suit inflate reg, drysuit, undersuit, turtle fins, canister torch, 2xback-ups, 2xdsmbs, 2xmasks, wetnotes, knife, hood, gloves plus clothes, laptop, etc and was well under the 23kg weight limit for hold luggage. my hand luggage on the other hand was quite heavy.

I'll be doing the same when i head off to Oz and the south pacific in a couple of months as well.

I've been traveling with the Oxy "fabric" backplate, standard Hog harness, Oxy 18lb. Extreme Travel Wing and dual stainless DR tank bands. I'm not exactly sure what the weight is but it's a system that packs up small enough and gives me all the confidence I could ever want from my equipment.

I've used this system with AL100 and AL80 tanks without issue.

Back
Top Bottom