Warm Water Travel BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick comment on the Zuma and BP/W. The Zuma only weighs 4 3/4 lbs and rolls up easily. I use an Al BP, 14kg wing, and STA for my work in SE Asia. That said, the simple Zuma is lighter and easier to travel with, in particular since the OP averages about 30 dives per year.

The Zeagle Scout is another option. May not have a cool name but it is a nice travel BC 24 lbs of lift and small pockets to store some small stuff. I have one and love it for the features of a small BC. Weight 4 lbs

I'd forget about the Zuma when considering the other alternatives from Hollis and SP:

L.T.S. (weighs only 5lbs)

SCUBAPRO - EQUATOR

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 01:13 AM ----------

The price may be right but 37# lift is excessive for tropical diving. Half that would be about right.

You can get a 23lbs version: RIDE

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 01:13 AM ----------

You can get a 23lbs version: RIDE

The ride looks interesting, almost a copy of the express tech. Just double the price.:shakehead:

The ride looks interesting, almost a copy of the express tech. Just double the price.:shakehead:

Not exactly, the RIDE has advantageous the ET doesn't have especially for local (cold/temperate) waters. The Ride can be used from Drysuit to bathing suit no problem.

Why do people worry about the weight on a travel BC?

I flew to the Caribbean to dive last month. I took my stainless steel back plate and wing setup. I fit the BP/W, my regulator case, 3/2 wetsuit, mask and a snorkel all in a carry-on bag. I have never been informed of any kind of weight limit on my carry-on, but regardless, being the size to fit in an overhead compartment means it couldn't hold TOO much, so it was definitely under 50 pounds.

And I wouldn't have wanted to check it, regardless. I wanted it with me, so I could be sure it wouldn't get lost or delayed.

I realize that dragging around a 30 pound carry-on bag is a bit of a pain. Especially if you don't have a direct flight. But, at least for me, it is well worth it to KNOW my stuff won't get lost or delayed. Much less not needing to buy another whole BC just to have one that is lighter.

Why do people worry about the weight on a travel BC?

I flew to the Caribbean to dive last month. I took my stainless steel back plate and wing setup. I fit the BP/W, my regulator case, 3/2 wetsuit, mask and a snorkel all in a carry-on bag. I have never been informed of any kind of weight limit on my carry-on, but regardless, being the size to fit in an overhead compartment means it couldn't hold TOO much, so it was definitely under 50 pounds.

And I wouldn't have wanted to check it, regardless. I wanted it with me, so I could be sure it wouldn't get lost or delayed.

I realize that dragging around a 30 pound carry-on bag is a bit of a pain. Especially if you don't have a direct flight. But, at least for me, it is well worth it to KNOW my stuff won't get lost or delayed. Much less not needing to buy another whole BC just to have one that is lighter.

I second this sentiment, I spent 26 days in SE Asia (9 flights) with my carry-on containing regs (+ my wifes), bc, Hollis Batfins, ScubaPro jet fins, 3 masks, 2 full 3/2 westsuits, plus 2 snorkels. My checked luggage was almost empty.

Never any issues with the airlines, even the tiny Asia Air or Lion Air planes.

You guys are just better packers than me. :D I'm not sure how you get all that stuff in a carryon that doesn't weigh a ton, bounce off the back of other traveler's heads going down the isle, or wrestle through TSA. If I watch the weight of my/wife's gear, I can get the bulk of both of our warm water dive gear (and a few clothes, mostly used for packing material) in one 50 lb. (slightly minus) bag while carrying on the stuff I don't like to check. For most warm water travel the rest of our carryons are mostly clothes (shorts/t-shirts) and a small amount of photo gear. Our weights are critical. If it's too close we check another bag, not the end of the world. It's not so much the baggage cost factor as it is keeping things together and not getting bags separated during flight connections. I also just don't like the hassle of wrestling or pushing carryon bag limits. I really prefer my diving/vacations to be as hassle free as possible (even if I don't get caught up in anything, I don't even want to have to worry about it). If I'm not diving multiple times on a trip, I don't even mess with the bulk of the gear. As much as I prefer my own toys (and I do), I can dive a few times in anything and enjoy it. Different strokes. :)

You guys are just better packers than me. :D I'm not sure how you get all that stuff in a carryon that doesn't weigh a ton, bounce off the back of other traveler's heads going down the isle, or wrestle through TSA.

I didn't say that! I just said I've never been informed of a weight limit on a carry-on. And I fit most of my stuff in mine and it does weigh less than 50 pounds. I make no guarantees about other people's heads! I use a carry-on-sized rollaboard suitcase to drag it around and then my "personal item" is a backpack with travel essentials in it, like my tablet, headphones, a change of clothes, etc.. The TSA did not bat an eye at my carry-on (containing SS back plate) as it went through the x-ray machine.

My checked bag has my fins, other dive gear that is no big deal if something happens and I have to rent or do without, toiletries, and the rest of my clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom