Warming between dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a Thermolution heated shirt and was able to complete 45-60 minute dives in water temps in the 40's. You can keep it on between dives to warm you although you might have to purchase extra batteries and recharge them in your vehicle to last for your goal. I found that my hands & feet didn't get as cold because my core temp was higher.

Good luck!

I just started diving dry this fall and agree that in the cold weather a drysuit makes those surface intervals comfy!

Best techniques for dive interval recovery are to minimize heat loss thru Radiation, Convection and Conduction. This can be done by leaving your suit on and removing gloves, hood and booties, throwing on a jacket or rain poncho, dry boots and a hat. Fueling up with a high caloric snack will give the body immediate energy to burn to boost body temp.

Avoid rapid rewarming if you are really chilled. Pouring hot water down your suit counter acts the body's attempt to keep the core temp up with vascular constriction. By rapidly warming the extremities the blood vessels dilate allowing cool blood to rush into the core and cause a fast drop in temp. This is also known as "after drop" and results in uncontrolled shivering. Yes, its hypothermia. But hypothermia is controllable. If you do get to the point of chilled, Stop, get out of the environment, get dry, and carb up. Notice I said chilled....not cold or freezing.....chilled!

Our bodies are resilient and can regulate temperature in very extreme conditions, but we often push too hard and try to take short cuts. Shortcuts can lead to big problems. Best thing is to monitor yourself and Dive as long as you are comfortable. This goes for wet or dry diving.

Reactions: Ana
Buy a used drysuit. You will wonder why anybody dives wet. The surface intervals are so comfortable and diving dry is so much nicer.
I do wonder why would anybody dives wet in cold waters,
.....but then I go diving off my backyard, on a sunny afternoon in 80 degree beautiful clear water, wearing a thin skin or just a t-shirt, full foot fins that allow that warm water to caress each of my toes, no hood either so the hair is free and my ears equalize instantaneously. And then I wonder why would anyone would dive in waters that require you to remove yourself from the water. of course I rather dive dry than not dive.... but I try to dive in waters that let me go comfortably wet.

I do wonder why would anybody dives wet in cold waters,
.....but then I go diving off my backyard, on a sunny afternoon in 80 degree beautiful clear water, wearing a thin skin or just a t-shirt, full foot fins that allow that warm water to caress each of my toes, no hood either so the hair is free and my ears equalize instantaneously. And then I wonder why would anyone would dive in waters that require you to remove yourself from the water. of course I rather dive dry than not dive.... but I try to dive in waters that let me go comfortably wet.

Nov. & Dec. here are not freindly to wetsuits. I only dive occasionally then to "keep the wheels greased" so I'm not going 2+ months with no dives between Oct. and Florida. The expense of a drysuit doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Ana
TMHeimer what you say makes perfect sense as far as the diving... I just can't imagine what is like to live in a place with a winter like yours. I travel for work to many places, and the boss doesn't seem to care about temperatures as long as the sea state is acceptable. I can tolerated about 3 weeks of cold, by the 4th week I can't perform efficiently and the little patience I have normally completely disappears.

TMHeimer what you say makes perfect sense as far as the diving... I just can't imagine what is like to live in a place with a winter like yours. I travel for work to many places, and the boss doesn't seem to care about temperatures as long as the sea state is acceptable. I can tolerated about 3 weeks of cold, by the 4th week I can't perform efficiently and the little patience I have normally completely disappears.

All relative. We moved to the balmy South 7 years ago after 25 years in Northern Manitoba. That is, 3 solid months of minus 25-30 F daytime without wind chill, (lows of -50, -70 with wind chill--exposed skin can freeze in under a minute). 6 feet of ice on the lakes by March. Snow all 12 months possible. Snow plows used in June. Wood stove literally going 6 months straight. Needless to say, I got certified HERE.

All relative. We moved to the balmy South 7 years ago after 25 years in Northern Manitoba. That is, 3 solid months of minus 25-30 F daytime without wind chill, (lows of -50, -70 with wind chill--exposed skin can freeze in under a minute). 6 feet of ice on the lakes by March. Snow all 12 months possible. Snow plows used in June. Wood stove literally going 6 months straight. Needless to say, I got certified HERE.
I read that and I understand the words but I can't comprehend the meaning... definetly all relative, last night my husband and I went to the movies and afterwards stopped by a beach just to see the waves maybe have a cup of coffe but the temperature was in the mid 60s and I didn't have a jacket so we left.

I read that and I understand the words but I can't comprehend the meaning... definetly all relative, last night my husband and I went to the movies and afterwards stopped by a beach just to see the waves maybe have a cup of coffe but the temperature was in the mid 60s and I didn't have a jacket so we left.

You'll like this one. When I was a newbie I was on a charter in March off Destin on the panhandle. There was an instructor with her class on board. She was wearing a drysuit--I had to ask what that was. I had heard about them but being in FL (be it N. FL), I was taken by surprise. Think the water was about 65F.

Back
Top Bottom