Watch out for a Swindle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My stock response to this sort of thing is: you spent 3000 euros and didn't know what you were getting?

On the other hand - I am aware this sort of thing happens - information is hidden in small print and terms and conditions. My stock response to that is - what - you didn't read them!?

I don't know Easy Divers so can't comment on them specifically - but if you have it in writing that they promised you x, y and z but you didn't even get a, b and c, then I think yes, you have been shortchanged and have a complaint to make.

The problem is: to whom do you complain? PADI/NAUI/SDI/SSI/PPP/Insert Agency Name Here? How individual shops market their courses is down to the individual shop. If they have violated standards in some way then a QA is worth looking at. But if you just feel you got ripped off by a dive centre in a foreign country, then that's a trading standards issue, in which case you need to file your complaint with the local version of "government".

I'm sorry the OP feels hard done by - and this may be the case - there are still, sadly, plenty of "cowboy" operators out there. Potential dive instructor interns: Research what you are doing, what you are getting yourself into, where you are going and what you are getting for your money.

Thanks for sharing the info - I have popcorn waiting for the follow ups!

C.

My stock response to this sort of thing is: you spent 3000 euros and didn't know what you were getting?

On the other hand - I am aware this sort of thing happens - information is hidden in small print and terms and conditions. My stock response to that is - what - you didn't read them!?

I don't know Easy Divers so can't comment on them specifically - but if you have it in writing that they promised you x, y and z but you didn't even get a, b and c, then I think yes, you have been shortchanged and have a complaint to make.

The problem is: to whom do you complain? PADI/NAUI/SDI/SSI/PPP/Insert Agency Name Here? How individual shops market their courses is down to the individual shop. If they have violated standards in some way then a QA is worth looking at. But if you just feel you got ripped off by a dive centre in a foreign country, then that's a trading standards issue, in which case you need to file your complaint with the local version of "government".

I'm sorry the OP feels hard done by - and this may be the case - there are still, sadly, plenty of "cowboy" operators out there. Potential dive instructor interns: Research what you are doing, what you are getting yourself into, where you are going and what you are getting for your money.

Thanks for sharing the info - I have popcorn waiting for the follow ups!

C.

No small print to talk about. I was in direct conversation with the dive centre CD.
I have record of all of this but I have been told by a good few people now that doing a QA is not going to get anything done.

There was also no Foreign Language to confuse issues..... He is a Brit Expat working in Cyprus.

Standards/Requirements broken...... There are a few. Proof is there too.

What PADI will do about it..... Sadly, I don't think anything.
I have been on about 20 Forums with only bad results. They (Course Directors) pay a lot bigger money in every year than we do.... How could they fall fowl.

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom