Water Temperatures in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
By a lot of luck, I will be visiting Cozumel in February and was wondering what are the water temperatures in the first half of February? I will need to decide between a 3 MM full or shorty.

Thanks,
Sam

Hello Sam, Diving in Coz in Feb is realy nice to me skin or a 3mm shorty. But to some like my wife she was realy cold in a 3mm. The water temp wast feb was 78def F. Thats skin diving for me. I would take a 3mm shorty or if you get cold easy get a 3mm long. Now if you do the Caverns that temp get around 70 and can get cold. I did it in a 3mm shorty and was about to do the dives but was a little cold.

Water temps are usually in the high 70's at that time of year the air temp can feel cool if a Norte is in....I wore a .5mm under my 3mm famer jane and was ok...but when I got on the boat I was cold from the air....but I am cold natured:D

Sam308:
By a lot of luck, I will be visiting Cozumel in February and was wondering what are the water temperatures in the first half of February? I will need to decide between a 3 MM full or shorty.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi, Sam,

As others have noted the wt will likely be in the high 70's...maybe as high as 80... We always wear full wet suits no matter where we dive. In winter off Cozumel we used to dive with 3mm and I would guess that would be about average. However, of late, we have begun using our 5mm and have become addicted to them.

I hope this helps and that you have a wonderful time on Cozumel...nearly guaranteed!:D

joewr

Im heading to Coz mid february, never dove there before but if its 78 degrees then i think ill just dive my 1.5mm full or a 3mm shorty (or switch between). Cold never bothers me really, then again diving in Canada can be cold sometimes...

Water will be about 80. I dive a 3m shorty. If you plan on more than 2 dives a day you may want the full. My dives are 60-80 min and by the end of the second dive sometimes I start to chill. If the sun is out you can feel the rays on the shallow dives and they keep you warm.

Lou

We last dove Coz on December 29th. I'm looking at my dive computer right now, and the two dives were recorded at 82 and 83 degrees F. at 64 FSW and 60 FSW, respectively. February may be colder. I'll be there again in mid-March. :D

Wife and I will be doing 14 dives (and perhaps one night dive) Feb. 14-22. It's our first time there diving in Feb. and we wavered back and forth, after inquiries on this thread, between a full 3mm or 5mm. I got lots of opinions on that but an instructor I dove with in the Keys in Nov. said it best. "If you have any question whatsoever about being cold, always go warmer. You are there to enjoy yourself." He told us he had over 2,000 dives and had just ordered a wet/dry suit to dive the Keys. Forget the macho stuff, stay warm. We will bring our 5mm and enjoy the dives.

waynel:
Wife and I will be doing 14 dives (and perhaps one night dive) Feb. 14-22. It's our first time there diving in Feb. and we wavered back and forth, after inquiries on this thread, between a full 3mm or 5mm. I got lots of opinions on that but an instructor I dove with in the Keys in Nov. said it best. "If you have any question whatsoever about being cold, always go warmer. You are there to enjoy yourself." He told us he had over 2,000 dives and had just ordered a wet/dry suit to dive the Keys. Forget the macho stuff, stay warm. We will bring our 5mm and enjoy the dives.

YEP!:)

joewr

Just a followup. On February 10th the water temperature was 82. Everyone I dove with had 2/3MM full suits however a shorty would have worked if you don't get cold.

:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom