Water Temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to Kona Oct 7-14 then to Maui Oct 15-28. What are the typical water temps during this time frame. Deciding what exposure suit to wear. Currently only own 3 mill full suit. Considering a hooded vest as a supplement.

Likely still warm then, low 80s-high 70s depending on depth.

IMHO...... For the past 10 years I have encountered Hawaii divers who are cool in a rash guard year round and those who are blue-lippin after 20 min in a 7mm. What I think it all boils down to is this:

1) What's you usual water temps on your dives (if 50 then Hawaiian waters are "warm"..... If 81 then you might feel a bit cold)
2) Hood or Hooded vest are ALWAYS a great add on to a dive kit. For those who travel they are amazingly light weight and can make or break your experience.
3) A lot of "warmth" issues can be solved by looking at your body type. If you are tall and skinny it's hard to stay warm...... EVER. I don't have this issue anymore.
4) Bring a sweatshirt on the boat. After the first dive you can zip the wetsuit down to your waist and throw on the hoodie..... Serious bonus when it's windy

Have an awesome time!!!

G

ScubaPro makes a hybrid rashguard, a long or dirt sleeve rashguard with a 1mm chest panel. I am also seeing more Lavacore semi insulated rashguards. Like Gabe mentioned above if you need a rashguard then these might work well for you.

My wife and I Dive in Maui every October, and this year will be there from Oct 23rd for 2 weeks.
Every year, my computer shows 79-81. I use a 3/2mm and have no problem keeping warm.

Russ

Don't forget to factor in how many dives you're going to do in a day and days in a row.

As an example, we always book 3-tank charters on Maui, except in April when the water is pretty much at it's coldest (72-74 degrees), and I find I'm too cold on the 3rd dive to be comfortable, so we only do shore diving and 2-tank charters in April.

Also, on a liveaboard in Belize one year, the water was 79 degrees, but mid-week everyone on the boat was coveting my 5mm full suit after doing 4 dives a day for so many days in a row.

75-80 degrees......but all about being cold is different with everybody. When I diving in Hawaii I tease my friends for wearing a 5mm or 7mm, and calling them crazy. And they laugh at me and call me crazy for diving with my boardshorts and maybe a rash guard. That's why I go there to dive, to be free of the wetsuit. To me...it's "warm" water diving. I'm used to the toasty (NOT) California waters. (low 50s) The water in Hawaii just isn't cold to me. Not tall & skinny (as Gabe says), more of the tall & "thick", so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. so just depends on how cold you get, and what you're use to.

We are currently diving the Hilo side. Water temps range from 74-77°. I am slim build and wear a three mil with a two mil hooded vest. I stay warm through two tanks if i can catch sun in between. Kona is amazing! Be sure to see the Manta dive c Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures.

Checked my log. 80-82 last week of October-2011, 81-83 last week of October-2013. All dives were along Kona coast.

Back
Top Bottom