Waterproof IPX8 Certified Phone Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry my cell phone when solo diving in a camera case for an old SeaLife 35MM camera that's rated to 200'. I can't use it in the case but on the surface out of the case in an emergency maybe it'll work long enough to get help. Worth a shot IMO, haven't tried it yet but then I don't want to!

Nice but my flip phone wouldn't work in that.

I wonder if you could stream Netflix at 30m? Not much else to do or see on a dive .... :wink:

They say you can hear music play underwater when the phone is in the bag. It would be awesome to play some recorded whale songs to maybe attract whales?

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

I just ordered it. I'll give it a try. Maybe next week. I'll post here how it went

Let us know!

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 08:11 PM ----------

There are more robust (and useful) phone housings out there :wink:

[video=youtube;xhpJQuKabPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpJQuKabPY[/video]

The $10 price is hard to beat lol

Just dip 'em in wax, works like a champ.
:banghead:

I carry my cell phone when solo diving in a camera case for an old SeaLife 35MM camera that's rated to 200'. I can't use it in the case but on the surface out of the case in an emergency maybe it'll work long enough to get help. Worth a shot IMO, haven't tried it yet but then I don't want to!
Nice idea. I have a couple of old housings, and my cell phone is water resistant on the surface anyway - rated to 3 feet for 30 minutes. It won't float but does have a loop where I could attach a wrist strap. It'd work in some locations and the GPS is trackable.

Why in the world would anyone want to take a cell phone on a dive? That should be illegal. Leave your cell phone on the shore, or boat, or at the hotel, In fact anywhere where I can't hear it or you on it. Please.
DivemasterDennis

I doubt that phones can receive signals underwater, making calls would be impossible, and texting unlikely even if they got a signal. I'd hate to have to hear someone else's choice in music on a dive. Many use their phones in place of real cameras, which has set amateur photography back by years.

Some phones are water resistant on the surface, like my old fashion Barrage, and have emergency GPS tracking. I can see the benefit of carrying one in a camera housing on a dive, just in case the diver goes missing, if he can retrieve it on the surface without dropping it and turn it on. Leaving it turned on during a dive with weak or no signal could drain the battery.

Why in the world would anyone want to take a cell phone on a dive? That should be illegal. Leave your cell phone on the shore, or boat, or at the hotel, In fact anywhere where I can't hear it or you on it. Please.
DivemasterDennis

Like I posted when I'm solo diving I take mine. Why? Here's scenario #1: It's after dark no one is around and probably won't be until after sunrise. I'm entering or exiting a rocky shore line, the tide is low but incoming. I fall and break my ankle. I get my cell out of the case and call 911 if I can get a signal.

Last edited:
I doubt that phones can receive signals underwater, making calls would be impossible, and texting unlikely even if they got a signal. I'd hate to have to hear someone else's choice in music on a dive. Many use their phones in place of real cameras, which has set amateur photography back by years.

Some phones are water resistant on the surface, like my old fashion Barrage, and have emergency GPS tracking. I can see the benefit of carrying one in a camera housing on a dive, just in case the diver goes missing, if he can retrieve it on the surface without dropping it and turn it on. Leaving it turned on during a dive with weak or no signal could drain the battery.

You can also take a PLB if you're going shallow diving. Mines is a Inreach Explorer which has a SOS for search and rescue, GPS navigation and I can text message people using satellites which has a better chance of getting signal in the ocean than a cell phone. And it can stand being exposed under 1-meter of water for 30 minutes. Putting the Inreach Explorer in the dive bag makes me feel a lot more safer in the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom