Ways to mount a pres. gauge...what do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolfPackDiver

Registered
Reaction score
New to the board, so please bear with me. Okay, here goes:

I've read/heard a lot about different methods of mounting gauges (primarily pressure gauge) and it seems to boil down to these two methods:

1. O-ring around pressure gauge hose, zip-tie through o-ring and a clip and then clip to D-ring

or

2. Put the o-ring on the other end->(i.e. zip-tie around p.g. hose and clip, clip through o-ring and o-ring through D-ring.)

What are the preferences out there? Any other/better ideas around?

Thanks for anything you can send my way.

WolfPackDiver:
New to the board, so please bear with me. Okay, here goes:

I've read/heard a lot about different methods of mounting gauges (primarily pressure gauge) and it seems to boil down to these two methods:

1. O-ring around pressure gauge hose, zip-tie through o-ring and a clip and then clip to D-ring

or

2. Put the o-ring on the other end->(i.e. zip-tie around p.g. hose and clip, clip through o-ring and o-ring through D-ring.)

What are the preferences out there? Any other/better ideas around?

Thanks for anything you can send my way.

Use #1 But use 2 strong zip ties and a good brass or stainless clip

I use a piece of cave line to tie em on because I don't feel the need for a break away connection on an SPG.

If you want to use an o-ring, another way to do it is to run the o-ring through the eye of the bolt snap and then slip the two open ends of the o-ring over the SPG and hose. You'll probably have to remove the SPG to get the o-ring on the hose. If you use a double ender just run the o-ring around the hose and clip the bolt snap on and you still don't need the wire ties.

I don't like using wire ties.

I think it works better on the metal fitting...but hey, to each his own :)

mer:
Ditto.

No need for a breakaway here.

Place the cave line wraps on the mental fitting so it doesn't slide up the HP hose.

crawford:
I would never go underwater without several zip ties and some duct tape somewhere on my gear. :wink:
Duct tape --> in case you get a small hole in your cylinders.

[Added Note: This is a joke, don't ever think this will work.]

WolfPackDiver:
Duct tape --> in case you get a small hole in your cylinders.

It takes almost an entire roll of duct tape and a beer bottle cap to effectively stop a small leak on a tank, and then you can't really overfill your tanks, have to stay around 2000 psi in my experience. Plus your profile is wack because of the huge wad of tape as you're trying to go through a restriction, etc.

Duct tape should be restricted to use as a jon line (just tape the anchor line and unwind a few feet), harness buckle (but you have to redo the tape every dive), or to cover an extruded O-ring real good.

Disclaimer: All the above is complete stupidity. Please don't try at home. :11:

Omicron:
I think it works better on the metal fitting...but hey, to each his own :)
Sorry about the freudian slip. My mind was wondering as I was writing that post about how so many divers turn off their mental capacity underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom