Wear your good wetsuit in the pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I commonly wear a 3mil farmer john and a 3 mil jacket while diving in cool lakes. For years, I was a swimming instructor during the summer months and spent hundreds of hours in the pool during late spring and early summer, teaching lessons as well as lifeguard trainees. Since I spent so many hours in relatively cool pool water, I wore my jacket. It didn't fade that much, but it did wear out before the farmer john...but it took five years for it to do so. My opinion was that it wore out simply because I used it for all those hundreds of hours IN ADDITION TO the time I spent diving in both freshwater and salt. I think I got very good service from it, all things considered. Just remember to rinse it after every use (at the pool, I simply wore it into the shower and rinsed it while peeling it off), and a normal wetsuit should last you for a very long time.

The part a few mentioned about gear not fading where in contact with a belt or BC was a surprise to me.

I think the bottom line is that neoprene is in a state of decline from the moment it is created and there is only so much point in pampering the stuff. As String mentioned use and sun do a lot as well. I have been surprised at how much the yellow, pink and blue of my wife's suit have toned down.

The best you can do is rinse it throughly out of the pool water so it will not be marinading in the stuff.

All of that being said I have heard of some that have accumulated enough stuff over time that they do have a "beater set" for the pool. I always use my older booties if I'm going in the pool.

Pete

Actually Ide be more concerned with fin straps and other true rubber gear.

The material will fade and over time deteriorate, I have pitched a couple crotchless suits and I rinse mine after each pool session (1 session/week). For some reason that seems to be the first spot that tears, maybe because that's where seams meet. I've also had the faded cloth peel away from the neoprene making my suit look like it's molting. My pool booties are not immune either, they have lost their elasticity and droop around my ankles and the soles have gotten "gummy". I look for clearance price suits and booties for pool use, my good ones stay out of the chlorine.
Ber :lilbunny:

Don't worry about it. The suit's eventually gonna wear out from salt water and sun. Just make sure you rinse it out real good after use

Just picked up my first wetsuit as I start to purchase my own gear.

This brought a question to mind: Since I only have one and this one has a little color in it, will wearing it in a pool give me any problems, fade the colors, etc.

I remember the rental wetsuits we used during dive training were pretty ugly and faded. So I am curious if seasoned divers have a good suit for ocean diving and and older junker for pool work?

What other tips should I know for care of wetsuit?

When I was an Assistant Instructor, I had a sacrificial shorty. It faded fast, but still works well.

Wearing the suit a couple of times in the pool should not cause any damage, especially if you are dilligent about rinsing it out afterwards.

Also, you can help prevent the chlorine damage by soaking the suit in regular water *before* getting in the pool. ie-go stand in the shower before getting in the pool. If you soak the suit, or any "cloth" scuba gear, like BC's, before getting in the chlorinated water, the regular water will displace the chlorinated water. At least for a time.

Odd, I consider the fading and discolouration of my gear to be a badge of honor. Means I actually have been diving, not just reading scuba board. (I do like reading scuba board--no offense intended). The pool just accelerates the process--why do you think I am taking a DM class (joke--please).

If your suit rots and tears so much the better, you get to go out and get that new model that was advertised in the scuba magazine last month.

I never wear my personal suit or use my personal BC in the pool when I teach. If I must get into an unheated pool (which I assure you is accompanied by much complaining) I wear a shop suit and I always use a shop BC, the pool is just way too rough on the gear.

Darn--I thought I was the only AI in captivity that complained about diving in cold water. My owner is convenced that I'm not a real diver because I won't dive in water less than 50 deg on the surface...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom