Weight belt idea - what am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious but what is so difficult about opening up the weight belt buckle, cinch the strap up a bit and close the belt buckle? That's like a whole 10-seconds affair.

This video was made with Freedivers in mind, but most everything is applicable to Scuba Divers as well.

>[video=youtube_share;XwA8DL6-Ya0]http://youtu.be/XwA8DL6-Ya0[/video]

Rubber weight belts are the way to go, but I find they max out about 20-22 Lbs/10Kg before the weight stretches them too much. That works for me because I don't like dropping more than that anyway. You really can wear it down on your butt like the video shows, even if you don't have much of one (geezer butt). It just stays there without suspenders. A weight harness makes a lot of sense if you need more than that plus what you can put on your tanks without cratering your trim... usually in the 30-40 Lb range.

Last edited:
I'm curious but what is so difficult about opening up the weight belt buckle, cinch the strap up a bit and close the belt buckle? That's like a whole 10-seconds affair.

It can slip off while you're messing with it?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the rubber belts take care of this whole problem in a simple, cost-efficient way.

Once you open the buckle you have to be very careful as the belt can slip out. It can be a problem especially if you're handling a camera, wearing gloves, etc. It's especially an issue if you don't have a good waist and the more weight you're carrying the more likely it is for it to fall out.

This is the type I've used for decades and like it.

Maybe try a "depth compensating" buckle first. The one below is by Trident.

View attachment 185287

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 09:44 AM ----------

As a videographer, I agree this can be problematic. However, if one clips off the camera while adjusting the weight belt it isn't difficult.

Once you open the buckle you have to be very careful as the belt can slip out. It can be a problem especially if you're handling a camera, wearing gloves, etc. It's especially an issue if you don't have a good waist and the more weight you're carrying the more likely it is for it to fall out.

After you're in the water for a bit, the belt gets wet and you have to tighten it. Not a big deal, but it could be easier.

Scubapro makes (made?) a belt with rubber bungies threaded through holes in the webbing. The bungies were supposed to take up the slack as your suit compressed. For most divers, it's not that big of a deal to worry about special gizmos to tighten the belt. I usually use a fully integrated weight system, but when I use a belt, I just tighten it up from time to time throughout the dive.

This is the type I've used for decades and like it. ...

Yep. I see W/B's as brain-dead stupid. There is only one place they fit, hate 'em, no choice, just buckle up and go. Compensating buckle, a Home Depot eyelet, stays and 2" webbing. Cheap, I color code them.

Don't ask about the 20#'er. There is no such thing as an "off-tide screwdriver dive".

WBelts.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom