Weight in Sizing Equation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tappakeggadae

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving and am looking into buying a 3mm wetsuit for an upcoming vacation. Being a fairly large guy, I am having trouble figuring out what size wet suit I should order. I am 5' 11" and weigh approx. 305 lbs. My wife measured me last night and I fit into the dimensions of Harvey's 4XL Short (a brand my LDS carry's and recommends) in every category except for weight.

I have found that there are not any manufacturers that really make off-the-rack wetsuits for those of us that weigh over 275 lbs. I realize that a custom suit is probably best for a guy my size, but I don't think I'm ready to cough up an additional $200+ for the custom fit (especially considering my weight has been on a steady downward trend for the last 2 months).

My question is how will the additional 30+ lbs. that I carry affect the fit of the suit? Will it bust at the seams because it can not hold in my weight? Is the longevity of the material not going to last? Is there any affect at all?

This sizing stuff really has me confused and any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TKD

TKD,

You and I are of very similar dimensions (I am 5'11' and 310 lbs) and yeah my weight is on a downward trend (and like every other year the fall of snow is sure to coincide with an upward trend)

I wear an Akona Wetsuit (model unsure) and it is a 4XL.

While the legs are quite long, everthing else fits perfect.

My one recommendation is that you MUST try it on before you buy it.

Mine is a 7 mm, and I can just barely put it on myself. That being said, once things are zipped up there is plenty of flex in the neoprene for my "shifting" proportions.

If you are looking to buy new anyways- the cost of a custom may not be that much more, and depending on your weight distribution, might be your only option.

I lucked out because a local dive shop brought this suit in as a rental for me (because I did my OW) I bought it the following year at a reduced rate (even though I was the only one who ever wore it !!)

Anyways- let me know how you make out. The other thing you want to think about is BC style. I have a 58" chest, and conventional jacket style created quite a bit of surface "lung squeeze"

I have just received my new Zeagle Tech Back Mounted- custom-made and sized for me at no extra charge. It hasn't gotten wet yet- but just trying it on dry it is amazing how much better it is in terms of upper mobility.

I own two wetsuits - both Akona 5XL (I am 6' 6"; 350 lbs; 54" waist). I have a 3MM shorty and a 6.5 MM Farmer John. They were not too expensive (best price I found was Leisure Pro) and pretty comfy. I have also heard that many 'larger' folks have had luck with the Henderson hyper-stretch, but I have no personal experience.

As far as BCs - I use the DIve Rite Transpac II - very adjustable and fits great. A backpalte/wing can also be adjusted to fit any size.

Good Luck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom