weight pockets in zegal ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pggeek

Reaction score
Should I bother to get the yellow weight bags/pockets for my new ranger?

They make loading and unloading the BC a lot easier and there is a chance the weights (esp small sizes) will fall out through the rigging. Unless you need lots of weight ...say 35lbs or more, the small size if fine.

I use a pair of small mesh bags about 6 by 8 inch that cost $2.00 each (from a camping store), the Zeagle pockets in Canada are $45.00 for the pair. Use a bag and you can use any type of weights, I mix and match soft and solid weights. :D

You do need some kind of pouch, or else the individual weight bags might fall out.

The pouches are easier to handle if you also attach a plastic knob to them. You can get the knobs off other brands of weight pouches. By the time you do all that, they will cost you about $65 each!

money. I dive (over 50 this year) with a 10 and 3 lbs soft weights in each pocket. Nothing ever fell out. For a while I put those in a mesh bag (like newdiver2 suggested) but later found I didn't need a thing other than the weights themselves. Of course if you like yellow bags and have $60+ bucks to spend its your decision. $$$$$:mean:

I am a proud new owner of a zeagle escape and highly recommend some sort of bag. It doesn't need to be zeagle, but they are well built. The bags make it MUCH easier to load/unload...just stick em in versus messing with all of the pouches.

my two cents,
Adam

I just bought a new Ranger LTD from LP ($300.00 less than my LDS) and it came with the mesh bags

To get more weight in less area I use 5 lb soft weights and several solid 1kg bullets, the bullets do fall out the bottom of the rip cord system in a flash. If you need 20lb per pocket then you would have to use some solid weights in my experience. Using a bag lets you use smaller weights and solid weights without the possibility of losing them. :wacko:

The bags do make it easier, at least for me. Because I tend to dive the same gear and config all the time I can keep my soft weights in the mesh bags and don't have to hunt around in my trunk for loose weights. I also like the 6lb capacity bags that thread thru the tank straps. These will let you get a little weight higher on your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom