Weight system for BP wing ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not... use an elastic rubber belt. They don't slide around and are comfortable and easy to work.

Why not rig a crotch strap with a quick release fastex clip. That is what I did immediately when I started to use a crotch strap. It is easy to open up and falls away and allows the weightbelt to be removed even with the waist strap of the BP/w in place...

OP -- ignoring all the back and forth which has nothing to do with your question, can you please explain why you want to put all your weight (ballast) on your BP?

I hate weight belts and refuse to use them but I also didn't want to put all of my weight on my BP for the reasons stated above -- it just makes the thing too darn heavy! As I dive in cold water/dry suit, I need/want about 30 pounds of ballast to stay WARM and down.

I have a DSS plate and use the bolt on plates -- that's 14 pounds of negativity.

The other 16 pounds is in a DUI weight and trim harness which, as explained, allows me to dump the weight if I want to (note -- this is theoretical only -- I'll confess I haven't pulled the pockets in 5 or 6 years!). IF I need to get into a small boat (not a theoretical issue) I can easily ditch the BP and then hand up the harness all by itself or just not worry about the additional 16 pounds -- as opposed to the total overall weight of the BP/Tank/Reg/Can Light which is close to 70-80 pounds.

This is how I dive my rig.

I did however pulled my weight handles last weekend on my last dive and I was glad I waited for my last dive, for it was cumbersome rethreading them back.

The biggest problem with them was when you are diving from a small six-pack boat that does not have a ladder to climb into. These boats require the weight belt to be handed to the boat crew (first) and then you unstrap your rig and that is handed to the crew (second). Finally the diver pulls himself into the boat while wearing only fins. With a weight integrated rig and steel tanks, it is way too much weight for the boat crew to be pulling out from the ocean into the boat all at once.

I wonder, does it have to be weight belt first, then rig?? can it be rig first, then weight belt? With weight belt only, you should be neutral or slightly positive, so removing your rig, you shouldn't sink. If you are in drysuit, you can inflator the suit to make your further positive.

I wonder, does it have to be weight belt first, then rig?? can it be rig first, then weight belt? With weight belt only, you should be neutral or slightly positive, so removing your rig, you shouldn't sink. If you are in drysuit, you can inflator the suit to make your further positive.

I tried that experiment and it works to some extent but I dive with a heavy DSLR hooked on to my Rig. Removing the weight belt and handing it to the boat crew causes me to float higher in water (with a partially inflated wing) and puts me in a better position to hand over other ahem more expensive things. It is manageable but ... it would be easier if I am rigged to lose the weight belt first item. Secondly, Weights under the crotch take away the ability to drop the weight instantly in an emergency. Not sure how I feel about that as that could be an advantage.

Zeagle makes a weight system that attaches to the plate. I use mine as pockets and still use a belt, but you can actually use them as they were intended

op, aren't you planning on starting tech? don't change your weighting system just before you start diving doubles - waste of $$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom