well you think its too early?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txscubakid

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my Open water dive certification on 4/30/2006, and I have 4 logged dives (which where the skills dive, that we logged during my learning period.) I know this isnt good, but my dad was an instructor when we lived in honolulu hawaii, and he use to train dolphins, whales, seals, and alot of other sea animals for the navy, sea world, and alot of other stuff. Since he owned his training facility he would take me on dives with him in the tank of the humpback whales, and dolphins, and other stuff. so I basically have 15 or soo not logged dives, which I might have my dad sign off as in my log book. Well anyways I really want to do diving for a living so i was thinking of getting my advanced open water diving in a couplw weeks, would it be too soon or just right? I am 15 years old, and I havent gone on a dive yet since I have been certifed. Me and my dad do have a trip planed out to jamaica, grand caymen, and couzamel. which we are gunna dive there alot like I think he said be prepared to log about 10 or soo dives. But anyways let me get to the point you think it is too early to go out for my advanced open water, or do you think I should get a few dives in before going out for my advanced? well Im sorry for all the questions, just very excited about getting into a new sport...wait let me rephrase that a New EXPENSIVE sport.. but lol thanks for your guy's is time..

Aaron

Probably not too early, but you'll have to wait til your 18 to turn pro. Dive all you can, that's most important.

Great job, and it sounds like you have a real taste for diving.

Advanced is the next logical step - in my personal opinion it really should be called "open water - part II". You might want to take a couple of dives before hand, so you can ask your instructor to help you with particular skills or answer questions you'll probably have once you start diving.

Keep up the attitude, and keep diving!!

Never too soon to learn, and hone your "new" dive skills, especially under the "watchfull eye" of an instructor, so I say if you can afford it- go for it.
I wish that I had started diving at your age! -- I didn't start untill I was 36, always wanted to, but couldn't find a buddy. You were borne with one, sieze the day, you lucky guy/gal?
Wheather or not, you can swing the cost of AOW, make as many dives with your father as you can.
Be safe, pay attension, be aware- you will become a good diver.
Good luck---when all else fails.....DW

yeah thanks for the wonderful tips. the money issue isnt the problem its my age and other stuff like that. am a guy, but yeah thanks for the tips, and I might just go ahead on due my AOW, so I can have great experience for my trips, and be able to get a diving buddy besides my dad, so I dont always have to go with him, and have more experiences with other people

Hey, congratulations on getting certified, and getting into this horribly addictive sport.

Regarding AOW . . . Think about what you want to get out of taking the course. Do you feel as though your skills, coming out of OW, are okay, or do you need a lot of help?

AOW is partly what you make of it -- don't waste your money on "Boat Diving" or "Fish ID". Do the dives that will enhance your skills or your understanding, and find an instructor who will make sure that there is meat on the bones. My AOW was five more dives with an instructor (which I needed), but didn't teach me much. On the other hand, I'd be challenged by NW Grateful Diver's AOW class if I took it TODAY.

I dove yestreday with a 15 year old diver in Seward. He had maybe 22 dives and was already very good on buoyancy control. As I am of you, I was impressed with his enthusiasm in the sport and openness in speaking about what his concerns were with diving. Keep diving and if you feel as though you want to get your AOW, by all means do so.

Congrats on your cert.
Like you, I am fairly new and I am looking to do my AOW soon. I decided however to get some dives under my belt first, that way if I do have weaknesses or concerns about any particular skill, it should surface during this period. I think I have dived enough now to get a feel of my progress and as a result, AOW here I come.
You were warned, this sport is addictive, but compared to the other major love in my life (motorsports), I think it is not just cheap, but 'dirt cheap'.
Have fun.

Awesome job! Welcome to the ever growing family of divers. It's great you are starting early and as you've read lots of us are jealous. I'd get your AOW book now one way or the other. I agree with a previous post that you want to make sure that you are getting a good instructor to make the best of the course - but you are very lucky to have the watchful eye of a family member as you begin diving. Focus on good buddy skills with your Dad when you dive and you will set yourself up for becoming a great diver. Many divers focus so hard on themselves (which is good in part) but do so to the point that they don't learn good buddy skills early on. AOW is mostly experiencing the dives but there is a lot to learn. Very few divers ever forget their first night dive! Beyond that in my opinion Peak Performance Buoyancy is a GREAT dive to do along with the required navigation and deep dives. A nitrox intro might be good if you are going diving a lot with you Dad.

Very smart to use the scuba board - You'll find endless divers happy to help you out and share with you stories of learning and excitement about scuba!

Best of wishes from the islands...

AlaskaDiver:
I dove yestreday with a 15 year old diver in Seward. He had maybe 22 dives and was already very good on buoyancy control. As I am of you, I was impressed with his enthusiasm in the sport and openness in speaking about what his concerns were with diving. Keep diving and if you feel as though you want to get your AOW, by all means do so.
He's something, isn't he? :D

He may only have 22 OW dives, but he has a bunch of pool dives where he practices skills as well.... And he's a sponge that soaks up information.... it's paying off big time IMO :wink:

Back
Top Bottom