Welland Scuba Park Info Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All -

Looking to dive the Welland Scuba Park this weekend. Unfortunately, I cannot find a lot of info on the Park. Can anyone answer the following for me:

1. Is it closed to boat traffic?

2. Do I need a surface float?

3. What is the viz like?

Thanks in advance !

1. No motorized vessels within the Scuba Park
2. By surface float, do you mean a float w/ flag or just a surface marker? Seeing a dive flag is unusual - most folks just submerge and enjoy unless in a training situation (common occurrence)
3. Viz depends on a number of conditions but last Sunday, it was about 2m horizontal I have seen it at 10m which is really nice!

Lots to see and do. Sunken tour boat, cars, fish: Bass, Perch, Pike, Gobies. Great spot for navigation skills training. Depth <10m. VERY easy access. FREE parking. REALLY nasty latrines:shakehead: Stop for coffee and a donut at Tim's on Lincoln east of Crowland or at the corner of Lincoln and Prince Charles (west side of waterway)

If you PM me I can send you directions.

This is a very nice place to spend the day.

Neil

Thanks bigz - appreciate the details, particularly re: viz.

We found the map to the park as well as the cobalt drawing of the ropes that are rigged there online.

VERY excited to be diving there tomorrow.

I am also interested in your dive report. My son and I are newly certified and we were thinking about diving there before the end of the month. Would you recommend this as a site for us?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This was dives 6 & 7 for hubby and I on September 5, 2010, so we are newbies too. This is a great spot for new divers at it is shallow (deepest we went was 31 ft), warm (72F when we went) and when we went there were other divers around happy to chat and share info.

I found the boat ramp a bit slippery in terms of setting up etc. We put our gear on in the water, using the dock as a staging area, then walked to the deeper water. In future, I think I might do a slip off the dock entry in order to avoid the slippery stuff.

We had heard there were lines to follow, and we thought that meant we were looking for thick ropes like you see off a boat. We were not. We were essentially looking for string that is the same colour as the silty bottom. Once we figured out what we were looking for it was not a problem, there are stakes holding the line in place which are easier to spot initially. Make sure you stay far off the bottom as it is silty and once it is stirred up viz is a challenge.

We were told there was a starting line right off the ramp near an overturned car. We didn't recognize the object as an overturned car and as a result decided to snorkel to the buoy underneath which we knew there was a sunken boat - it was not a far surface snorkel. The dive from that point was AWESOME. We saw a lot of fun stuff - I won't ruin the surprises but let me just say that we had more than a few laughs at the stuff that has been placed in the park.

When the water was not stirred up - ie. near the boat - visibility was about 10 feet.

The day we dove was overcast, 15C air temp - so it was chilly getting out of the water in our 3mm wet suits. We made sure we had a thermos of Tim's Hotchocolate to warm up between tanks. That being said, we were colder during the second dive and wished for a thicker wet suit at that point.

We will definitely be back and I highly recommend it.

Glad you guys enjoyed the "park". Lots of neat stuff to find and always a surprise or 2 just "around the corner". Considering how we are losing good sites in southern Ontario due to regulations, etc. lets hope everyone keeps respecting this dive site so we can all enjoy it in the future.

Hi, would you tell me where you found this cobalt drawing for Welland Scuba Park Online ?
thanks, [

QUOTE=ScubaBing;5458370]Thanks bigz - appreciate the details, particularly re: viz.

We found the map to the park as well as the cobalt drawing of the ropes that are rigged there online.

VERY excited to be diving there tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the aerial is somewhat dated. Not sure what the oval is at the base of the launching ramp, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom