Welland Scuba Park Info Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went about a month ago check it out Welland Scuba Park July 2012 - YouTube

Vis was less than 2 feet.

Max depth about 30 feet.

Water was warm, very slight current. Two buoys to choose from. Followed the lines forever but saw nothing due to total lack of visibility. I would not recommend unless you got some serious diving experience as it can get claustrophobic very fast.

Will have to find the best time to go, probably April or November. Too much algae.

Photo looks like it was in winter, with ice cover. Someone has most likely shovelled light snow cover off to form an oval. Visual reference for under ice diving? (The area around the docks looks like there is some open water.

If you zoom out on the map, you'll see green trees and grass to the south.

There appears to be stands of deciduous trees that are bare of leaves in the dock area. Also, evergreen and grass under what appears to be light snow.
Late winter? Early spring? There should be a way of getting the actual date that the image was taken.

Yes, I now see that to the south, the trees and grass are green! Could the map have been created from two different images taken at different times of the year? It does look strange. Like your changing seasons as you go south.

from someone who lives in this area, I can tell you it can be below freezing and still be green, but to freeze the canal hard enough while still having leaves, doubtful anytime recently. Most likely an optical effect through the sat images

Incidentally, the vis is not 2 ft, it is 10 feet during the summer. It is 2 ft when new divers are in there kicking up the silt. I know, I was one of them. The two buoys represent the training platform and the sunken tug

Hi,

I was there today. The viz was down a little from earlier in the summer--maybe 3 feet in some spots, but about 10 in others. Today, there was a buoy on the dive platform, but not on the tug. But if you go straight S from the dock, you can hit the tug.

hmm, something may have happened to the tug jug, there was that swimming thing last weekend. But yeah looking straight out from dock, it is about 65 degrees and 150 or so feet towards the old swing bridge.

did my first dive in the park last night and it was quite nice. Visibility 10+ easy. Did a night dive and went towards the boat and its quite nice. Saw a big fish 1-1.5 ft.
Items I saw:
-lots of line laid for navigation
-snowman
-santa claus
-boat close to dock
-boat towards lift bridge

no time to find the cars, plane, and "sub"

Will check it out again!

Santa is a diver? Cool :thumb:. Now I know I will get cool stuff for Xmas this year.

The round oval looks like a skating rink.

Thought this was the Canadian forum.

Google Maps is made from thousands of images stitched together by computer than a human goes over the data to make sure it is all lined up. Very possible the top photo is april/may and the bottom is july/august.

I think it is a skating rink because if you follow the river north you see it is all ice and some of it has cracks, also the road to the scuba park itself looks to be covered in snow. Slush anyway.

The ice looks broken up and if it was a skating rink it is no longer usable in the photo as you can see open water just to the left of the oval based on the suns reflection of it.

Most definitely a skating rink that is melting away. I do not see the outline to any tugs.

I have never seen anyone skating here. The large Arenas where locals skate is almost directly across from there.
But, who knows perhaps they had a community winterfest or something with an outdoor skating area.

Back
Top Bottom