Wetsuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 6 Oneill suits- 3 for surfing and 3 for diving. I've worn Oneills for 15 years. Excellent suits! Very durable, very comfortable, and well fit (for me at least). I trust the fact that Jack Oneill basically invented wetsuits back in the 50's and pioneered many of the innovations that are standard in the industry like glued and blindstitched seams. But, that being said, I know some people really like their bare suits. What is imprtant are the fit, first and foremost, and the construction. Fit should really be done at a shop as it's easy to get it wrong. As for construction, first, it has to have those glued and blindstitched seams or, better yet, fluid welded seams (no thread!). If not, the stretching and pulling you do to doff and don will eventually widen all the holes that flatlock stitched suits have and what began as water wicking through to chill you will become more and more annoying and chilling, lessening the life of your suit. Sure, it's cheaper right off, but, you'll pay in the end. Second, ignore titanium claims- it's BS. Merino- don't know. I'm thinking that there might be something there as what actually keeps one warm is the water trapped in the suit and it's inability to move around and it seems like the wool might help trap it in place. And one manufacturers super stretchy is as good as another. ALL neoprene begins super stretchy- it's the addition of the durabilty giving nylon weave coating that makes it tight. Get more stretch and you give up some durability. For that reason, don't buy a surf suit for diving- they're meant to be stretchy and the gear divers wear will quickly rub the thing to pieces. I say get an Oneill (and I am in no way affiliated or stand to profit in any way from their business success). Good luck!

Just got my new Bare 7mm Arctic today, as well as Pinnacle 5mm merino-lined hooded vest.... will report on performance soon.

I have a Bare 3mm - 38 dives in that suit and I am already shopping for another one. The zipper pull has already broken off. Seams are coming unraveled and it I think the suit shrunk (I have not grown bigger or taller).

Last weekend at one of my favorite scuba shops, I tried the brand Water Proof. The construction looked great, but the fit was terrible and uncomfortable.

Another scuba shop in town carries Pinnacle, with the Marino lining. They have ordered my size, so I am checking that brand out when it arrives. I feel more comfortable trying the suit on before I buy, especially to see if I like the Marino lining.

I've read a lot about the fleece type linings in wetsuits but can't see how they add much in terms of warmth once wet. When dry yes as it is trapping additional air between your body and the elements. But I have heard that they are easier to get into when wet.

stablgr:
I've read a lot about the fleece type linings in wetsuits but can't see how they add much in terms of warmth once wet. When dry yes as it is trapping additional air between your body and the elements. But I have heard that they are easier to get into when wet.

stablgr,

The fleece traps the water in place- less water moving around and flushing in and out of your suit means you stay warmer. Once your body has warmed the trapped layer of water next to your skin you'll stay toasty as long as it isn't replaced by new, colder water.

stablgr:

As far as wet performance I agree with you. Concepts that work topside are worthless in the water. No amount of trapped water is an insulator. A close fit with a hint of compression is the key.

I have never had a problem donning a wet nylon lined suit. In fact I have seen some divers dunk a perfectly dry suit before donning.

Pete

Henderson Gold Core - very warm! Pinnacle suits are very well made with lots of little "extra" features, such as reinforced shoulder pads....I wear both (not at the same time!)

Hi. Sometimes there's greater variation within a wetsuit brand (between models and thickness) than between brands.
I love my Bare Arctic 7mm, Camaro 3mm and Akona 1mm. And I've heard great reviews about Pinnacle's 3mm suits. I think fit (snug with no excess space or flabby part of wetsuit) is more important than anything.
If you're on a tight budget, Tilos makes OK quality wetsuits (don't seem to last as long as some others), usually at lower prices tan average.
Dive safely.

I've had Bare, moved on to Oceaner (custom made) and moved on to Pinnacle. For most diving I wear a stock Pinnacle seal. by far the best fitting and verstile suit I have ever had. Worn it in 60-79F water, never been hot or cold in it.

I only have about 20 dives on it right now, so I can't tell you much about durability, but it still looks great.

stablgr:
Thanks for the feedback. Obviously I'll be trying on as many different suits as possible to get the best fit but looks like I'll be leaning towards either a Bare or an O'Neil.

That should please my daughter as I need to get one for her as well and she loves the look of the O'Neil. Girls !!!! :shakehead

If your daughter is tall and/or lean, she will love the fit of an O'Neill. Make sure to have her try on women's suits. They are cut differently then the men's and it makes a big difference, especially in the tall sizes. The new "firewall" lining and the "fluid weld" seams are great improvements on the O'Neill suits. My new 5mm is so comfy and well fitting, and I really love the new seam finish. With the weld over the stitching there's no chance of snagging the seams. The only thing I'm not too happy about is that O'Neill has reduced their women's line and done away with the accent colors. Anything more then a 3mm only comes in black.

Back
Top Bottom