Wetsuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know suit thickness is a very individual requirement, but typically what thickness should I be looking at for summer diving in Texas. I was thinking of 5mm full suit but would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Henderson is a real fine wetsuit. A bit pricey. Bare is a super good suit also.

I own both - dive a few days a week this time of year(winter) in a Bare velocity 5/4/3. Summer in a 3MM shorty Henderson.
Warm water wussies of the Florida Keys.

stablgr:
Anyway besides that I must add that I am looking for suggestions for reccomended thickness for summer diving in Texas and the GOM. Sorry if this is a very vague question but all my previous experience (well 98% of it) is based on diving in sub 40F water in a dry suit.

Depends on the mud hole you'll be diving. The deeper mud holes are a pretty constant upper 40's/low 50's. Can be 7mm, semidry or dry. The shallow mud holes get up into the low 90's in the late summer. No neoprene required. 3mm will be good from April through October in most places. A hood or hooded vest helps early or late in the season.

stablgr:
I know suit thickness is a very individual requirement, but typically what thickness should I be looking at for summer diving in Texas. I was thinking of 5mm full suit but would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Also, you can get a lot of good advice on dive sites and meet some new friends in the Texas Swamp Divers forum.

My DM daughter lives in your neck of the woods in Kileen. Dives all the local waters.
Uses a 5mm if going below the thermocline in the lakes. A 3mm if she's stays above.

Her 5mm is a Scubapro
Her 3mm is a Henderson.

Both of my wifes 3 & 5 are Henderson. (But the 5 was EXPENSIVE) but she tried on various 5mm suits and thought the Henderson was way easier to get into.

My 3mm is also a Henderson but my 5mm is a Cressi Sub. I have no trouble getting into the Cressi.

Well if you weren't confused before this thread...i'm sure you are now !:D

scubawife:
If your daughter is tall and/or lean, she will love the fit of an O'Neill. Make sure to have her try on women's suits. They are cut differently then the men's and it makes a big difference, especially in the tall sizes. The new "firewall" lining and the "fluid weld" seams are great improvements on the O'Neill suits. My new 5mm is so comfy and well fitting, and I really love the new seam finish. With the weld over the stitching there's no chance of snagging the seams. The only thing I'm not too happy about is that O'Neill has reduced their women's line and done away with the accent colors. Anything more then a 3mm only comes in black.
I was interested in your response on the O'Neill suits. I am 5'7" with a long torso (not skinny, but more curvy). I tried on suits from Edge and Henderson at LDS (they only carrry those brands and Akona)....and the hyperstretch fit beautifully in the torso, but seemed a little long in the arms & legs. And I'm not too keen to pay over $300. for a 3 mil wetsuit. In your experience, might O'Neills work for me too? Thanks, Kel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom