Wetsuit fitting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a competition style one-piece under mine because they are designed to stay put. It doesn't give me any bathroom difficulties either... you just pull it out of the way and off to the side. I did just buy a new lycra skin to wear under my one-peice 6.5mil because it is super hard to slide into no matter what you do. Once it's on and in place, it's all good.

--Shannon

I just wear my trusty UDT shorts under my 7mm one-piece, no donning or doffing problems at all. I tried swim trunks and board shorts with that quick drying material but like you all know those bunch up pretty good. Maybe it's habit but those UDT's are the most comfortable thing for me. By far one of the best pieces of gear left over from the service! :D

I just got my 3mm Bare Elastek wetsuit today, it fits great and is so comfortable, but the sleeves don't make it all the way to my wrist, is this normal or are my sleeves just to short for the size I bought?

Fitting to the wrist is normal.

In trying it on dry there may have been some material bunched up towards your shoulders or simply compressed up the arm. Was it really extending it's self and still not reaching your wrists?

If it really did fit great otherwise I'd be hesitant to upsize the suit or suggest surgery for this. Did it seat well up into the armpits? How do clothes in general fit you and how are the ankles? Bare does have long variants of most sizes.

Pete

Trying on rental suits, particularly 7mms, can be a real experience. Unfortunately most have had a lot of use and aren't normally top of the line suits to begin with.

A lycra suit does help, but nothing has worked for me like a regular plastic shopping bag over the feet. Put it over your foot, and push the foot through the leg of the suit. This really helps overcoming the pulling over the foot that wears out your hands and knuckles.

If you're wearing a farmer john and shorty combination, I've found trying to put both arms through the shorty at one time helps with leverage.

I can pull the sleeves down to my wrist, which then it seems fine as long as I don't try to raise my arms in the air at all then it pulls it back down away from my wrist, I'd say there is about 2 1/2 inches between my wrist and the wet suit (without any yanking from me)

From the way you are describing it howie411 it sounds like you might have wanted to go with the long version of your suit. Out of curiousity how does it fit around your ankels ... similar scenario as your wrists?

The long version adds a few inches in length to the arms and legs. That being said it is most important that your suit fit you throughout your core. Even if it is a few inches short on the arms and legs it will still keep you warm.

I wear a long sleeve rash guard under my 7mm, it's a Henderson hyperstretch, but can still be ***** to get on! I didn't want to spend the money on a full body skin, and don't usually have problems getting the legs on anyway. With the rash guard on, the arms just slip right on!

I have also found the tankini style to be very nice. Esp. if you're going to hang out in your wetsuit between dives.

Rhonda

From the way you are describing it howie411 it sounds like you might have wanted to go with the long version of your suit. Out of curiousity how does it fit around your ankels ... similar scenario as your wrists?

The long version adds a few inches in length to the arms and legs. That being said it is most important that your suit fit you throughout your core. Even if it is a few inches short on the arms and legs it will still keep you warm.

here is a picture of my arm and leg, the suit is about an inch away from my ankle and 2 1/2 inches from my wrist.

PS

I sent an email to Bare and they also recommended I might try the Med. Tall but when I looked at the size chart it seems to big for me. I'm 5'9 at 145 pounds, there Med/Tall seems like it would be to big for me.

Med:

Weight= 150-175, Height = 5'9-5'10, Chest = 37-39, Waist 31-33, Hips 37-39

Med/Tall:

Weight= 155-180, Height 5'11-6'1 Chest = 37-39, Waist 31-33, Hips 37-39
spcr.gif
spcr.gif

Attachments

• P1000108-small.jpg
    P1000108-small.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P1000107-small.jpg
    P1000107-small.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 22
I tell people that a wetsuit should "hug you, but not squeeze you". It seems to get the point across ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom