Wetsuit, How Cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 pc 7mm - water 40deg, air temp 45 deg. 40 minute dive New Years day at Gilboa in Ohio.

Ken

Water in low 40's and air around 60.
I wear a 7 mil farmer john with step in jacket and hooded vest.
Second dive is always a test of endurance for me when the water in the 40's.
Someday I will get a new drysuit.

39 degree water/-5 air, ice dive in Lake Mendota (Wisconsin) in January. Two piece custom 1/4" suit (they had not invented the metric system at the time), with 1/4 hood and mittens. Had tent and heated water for changing and between dives. Bought dry suit as soon as I could afford one. Don't remember it being that bad, but I most likely am blocking the pain.

Last Sunday - 43 mins of BT, 16 feet deepest, 12mm of neoprene, 44 b temp.... Honestly wasn't bad at all - about 50 on the surface wasn't a killer either... May be I am cold blooded ?

A group of us did an ice dive about 15 years ago in wet suits. We're talking February or March up here in Canada. We had to cut a hole in the ice so the water temp would have been slightly above freezing - maybe 34-36F. Air temp would have been around 10-15F. It was definately a unique experience - but I'm not in any hurry to repeat it. We were only in for 20 to 30 minutes and did not get overly cold. I think the topside safety diver was probably colder.

3mm suit no hood 52 degrees F fresh water. Forgot my other gear, air temp below 32 F, 30 min 2 dives was numb for days...

I dive montery regulary (well semi-regularly) in a 7mm one piece in hte low 50s hi 40s regularly with the air tems in the same range. Sometimes I wear a hooded vest. Did a fresh water dive in a 7mm farmer john with a seperate 7mm hood in 38 degree water, and 36 degree air. Was way too cool. My buddy needed 15 min of hot water to stop his shivering. I did a bit better...

I did a dive in a 7/6 in water that was mid 50's until the thermocline. I was trying to stay at the thermocline because it felt a little nicer. Surface temp was probably high 60's low 70's. Wetsuit was way too hot on the surface, but not bad at the thermocline. Stayed down for a full tank.

While I own a drysuit, I usually just dive in my wetsuit... it is a one piece 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch. I have worn this many times in water as cool as 42 F.
My general rule is that if the water dips below 40 F, I put on my drysuit.

My rules of thumb are simple

Water above 80 F - Skin
Water 65-79 F - 3mm
Water 40-65 F - 7mm
Water below 40 F - drysuit

I have decided the 5mm suit is an unnecessary investment and jump from a 3 to a 7.

Happy Diving...

jtoorish:
What is the coldest water you have dived in a wetsuit? It would be interesting to know the air temperture, as well.

Just curious about this. Of course the total thickness of the wetsuit would also come into play.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom