Wetsuit, How Cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtoorish:
What is the coldest water you have dived in a wetsuit? It would be interesting to know the air temperture, as well.

Just curious about this. Of course the total thickness of the wetsuit would also come into play.

Jeff
Hey Jeff,
The coldest I've been in to date was at St. Anns, April 30 2005. According to my instructor , Water Temp was 34 degrees. Not sure of the air temp. I was so nervous/excited about getting certified tha I didn't notice the air temp until I got out of the water getting dressed. BTW, I was diving wet in a 7mm.
Bob

ghostdiver1957:
While I own a drysuit, I usually just dive in my wetsuit... it is a one piece 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch. I have worn this many times in water as cool as 42 F.
My general rule is that if the water dips below 40 F, I put on my drysuit.

My rules of thumb are simple

Water above 80 F - Skin
Water 65-79 F - 3mm
Water 40-65 F - 7mm
Water below 40 F - drysuit

I have decided the 5mm suit is an unnecessary investment and jump from a 3 to a 7.

Happy Diving...

love the reasoning and the temp breakdown - will stick to it!

Coldest air temp was 58 degrees, water temp was 70. Felt much better in the water.
Coldest water temp was 53 degrees, air temp was 71. It was early morning and a short dive. Thank God the sun was out. Wore 6mm, hood, booties and gloves for both dives. All I can say is, I was ca-ca-ca-cold!

water temp was 38 f and the air temp was 34 f. I wore a 7mm farmer john. Now, if its below 55, I use a dry suit :)

jtoorish:
What is the coldest water you have dived in a wetsuit? It would be interesting to know the air temperture, as well.

Just curious about this. Of course the total thickness of the wetsuit would also come into play.

Jeff

A few of us used to dive regularly in 32F-40F water chasing oysters in Chesapeake Bay wearing 1/4 inch wetsuits, but the diiving was shallow (20 feet at the most, usually about 10) and we were very active. Aside from the shock of getting in and having your forehead and lips go numb, it wasn't too bad. We learned that well-fitted Nylon 1 suits, hoods, mitts, and boots (worn neoprene skin against our skin) were best.

37 Degree Water Temp in a 7mm Akona wetsuit. Outside temps anywhere from 60-90 (MN summers!)

On a side note, I've decided in the last week to buy a dry suit. There's a great deal on the Dive Rite 905 right now. I'm excited!

you all have me beat. I have only been in 51. with a 7mm full suit. and 60 something in a 3mm shorty. ( only for like 1 minute. got way to cold.)

7 mil farmer john

Coldest had to be last weekend.

Air temp 40 degrees
surface temp 39 degrees
Bottom temp 31 degrees

River dive, the water in them gets cold fast due to lack of depth. Max depth that day 10 feet. The week before at the quarry it was:

43 air
50 surface
and at 75 feet a brisk 29 (unless my computer froze) after a few minutes down there I had to surface lost feeling fast.

I think the wetsuit and gear taking the remainder of the season off unless a drysuit should present it self to me for cheap.

genxweb:
I think the wetsuit and gear taking the remainder of the season off unless a drysuit should present it self to me for cheap.

Amen to that.

Follow up...

Forgot to add the Air Temp part to my list...

Generally speaking... if the Air Temp is below 40 F and the Water Temp is below 40 F I put on the drysuit. If either or both temps is higher than 40 F, I wear the 1 piece 7mm. It is always colder getting out into cold air... so any day the air temp is below 50, I have a sweatshirt standing by to don upon exit... - Ken

Back
Top Bottom