Wetsuit or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do mostly shore dives in SoCal. Palos Verdes, Redondo, and Laguna. Lots of hikes and some surface swims. I'll bring my 3/2 with the 5/3 hooded vest and see how it goes from there.

While we are on the subject,
I'm going there as well at the end of March.
I normally dive here in Canada with just a 7mm in around 60F.
what do you recommand for suit? will a 3/2 works? shoudl I also bring my 5mm gloves and my 7mm hood?

April is the coldest month, with water temperatures lingering around 72. If you think 72-73 degrees, you'll be well prepared for the end of March. Don't forget a warm boat coat too. It is often overcast with a breeze, which prevents you from getting warm during your SI

All of these things are great points..... vests are light and if you are hauling your own BC/Reg/Wet already you might as well have the vest as a layering option. Also to note, we have added hot water to our boat for the colder months and have cocoa and soup to take the sting out. Hooded sweatshirt is your best friend when it's overcast. Enjoy your dives and post a report about your experience!

G

I just got back from Kona this weekend. Managed to get 6 dives in, less than I would have liked due to a mid-week swell. I registered 75 bottom temp on every dive. I was comfy in a 5 mil full suit with a 1.5 mil short sleeve t-shirt. Most of the other people on the boat also had 5 mils, a few had 7 mils.

James

Whether diving at 120 feet, 1 hour plus dive at 40 feet, or a night dive, I would say no to a wetsuit. But then I am an oddball.

But I have notice that people who wear 5 mm plus wetsuits in Hawaii still get cold. On the flip side, people who don't wear a wetsuit feel fine in the water. I am just saying.

I wound up bringing my 3/2 fullsuit for my dives. The temp at the Sea Tiger was 77 at the surface and 75 at 100 ft. Temp at Nautilus was 78 at the surface and 76 at 30-40 ft. Water felt great in my 3/2. The DM on my dive was in trunks and a rash guard but was crossing his arms like he was a bit cold when at depth. I used my hooded vest while snorkeling and it helped keep my core just warm enough to spend some time out there. A shorty would've been much nicer though.

We're on the Big Island now and just finished our third day of diving. We're wearing 5mm full suits and 5/3 hooded vests, with gloves and booties. My wife has been getting cold about 45-50 minutes into the dive, I'm usually cold by about the 65-70 minute mark. The second dive is definitely colder than the first. Several people sat out the second dive today because they were cold, and didn't have nearly as much bottom time on the first dive as us. Water temperature is mid-70s.

All the locals are wearing 7 or 8 mm full suits, and our DM from the other day had three layers of hoods on her head!

Folks on Maui are consistently reporting 75 degree water. The other thing to consider, besides the water temperature, is your ability to warm up between dives. You definitely want something warm to wear between dives since the sun isn't always out and there's often a breeze.

Water is getting a bit colder. Over the last few dives I have been recording around 72-74 at depth. I have a 3/2 and I often get a chill on the deeper dives. I would consider adding a vest underneath possibly even with a hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom