Wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why the helll do they put the zipper on the back instead of on the front where it belongs. Every time I zip up from the back (If I can reach the zipper pull.) it either gets stuck in the hair on my back and/or gets mixed up with the zelcro holddown at the top. I've got a shorty with the zipper going diagonal from the left hip to the right shoulder which goes on in a snap. I'd rather have the zipper on my full wetsuit running from my youknow up to my neck. What am I missing here?

getting your youknow caught?

How do you assess whether the zipper on a suit is a cheap type, potentially allowing water in or not?

Thanks!!!

1) Never had a problem, got mine from Wetwear

2) Never heard of this. I have tried Velcro (hook and loop) in every imaginable application, even as half-a-joke as a snow-ski binding. The problem with Velcro is that the hooks eventually break off, the loop tears into threads, and the loop material is easily impacted with small particulates such as sand (or snow!) Yes, it will continue to bind, but effectiveness is reduced with every use, and with contamination.

Zippers seem to be the best option. The real argument might be between nylon YKK type or brass Talon type.

Cheaper import suits do seem to let water through zipper areas, you get what you pay for.

Wetawear has been making our suits for years, look at the second one down on Wetwear - Wet Suits for Sport Divers, called the EZ-On. Into them in 20 seconds, out just as fast.

I am diving off of California.

What water temps are you diving? You may or may not even need/want zippers depending on suit material and thickness.

If the suit fits correctly, extra zippers are un-necessary. Also they become a point of weakness and the suit will rip at teh zipper seam.

In Calif. you can get a good custom suit at Eagle Reef Eagle Reef Custom Wetsuits - Wet Suits for scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, and water sports! or M&B Wet Suits in Long Beach for less than an off the rack suit.

As pointed out earlier, zippers are just an opening in the suit for cold water to flow through freely which will reduce the effectiveness of the suit.

Xcel and other's have the zipper in front across the chest in their 7 mil suits. The back zippers are often for 3 mil suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom