wetsuits in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, just to point out, it's not just water temperature that's important. It's also how long you're going to be down. A 20 minute dive to a wreck at 120' in 72 degree water is a different matter than a 60 minute reef dive at 60' in 72 degree water.

And both are different after a 1.5 hour surface interval in 50 degree air temps versus 90 degree air temps.

It all depends on what temps you are climatized to. I'm climatized to the Fl temps and I dive in a t-shirt in 74F spring water. Anything colder than that and I use a wet suit. I see Canadian tourists swimming in the Gulf during the winter when the water temps are in the 50s and they seem fine in just swim trunks. I would die of hypothermia in water that cold if I didn't have a suit on.

Also, just to point out, it's not just water temperature that's important. It's also how long you're going to be down. A 20 minute dive to a wreck at 120' in 72 degree water is a different matter than a 60 minute reef dive at 60' in 72 degree water.

And both are different after a 1.5 hour surface interval in 50 degree air temps versus 90 degree air temps.
thanks for the information. lot to think about for sure.

It all depends on what temps you are climatized to. I'm climatized to the Fl temps and I dive in a t-shirt in 74F spring water. Anything colder than that and I use a wet suit. I see Canadian tourists swimming in the Gulf during the winter when the water temps are in the 50s and they seem fine in just swim trunks. I would die of hypothermia in water that cold if I didn't have a suit on.
yeah you have a point. I've done some free diving in springs in just shorts and yes its a bit of a shock but after the swim out to the dive point i had forgotten about it and spent a little while exploring. i just haven't spent time at depth during the winter months so i wanna be prepared. I'm pretty new to diving.

it varies. I dive a 3mm most of the year. Sometime in November, i'll switch to my 5mm and come January, i'll dive my DUI Flx-Extreme for any longer, deeper dives or dives on the rare days when our air temp plummets (to the 50's).

I just dive my drysuit year round

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom