What about a hoseless regulator config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not build a giant Spare air, outfit it with a windshield, a rudder and a fridge big enough to hold a six pack and a roast beef hero.

You'd have no hoses and be diving dry!

Forget the Spare Airs. What we need is that rebreather dingus about the size of a harmonica that was used in a James Bond movie I can't remember the name of. Pierce Brosnan was the star, so it's one of the more recent ones. 007 just popped that baby in his mouth and swam around under water for quite a while. He also did just fine without a mask. That's the ticket, along with the car that turned into a submarine.

WJL once bubbled...
What we need is that rebreather dingus about the size of a harmonica that was used in a James Bond movie I can't remember the name of. Pierce Brosnan was the star ....

I don't know about Pierce Brosnan, but Sean Connery used one to escape a shark filled swimming pool in the 1965 ThunderBall.

"Hoseless diving apparatus

In 1912 the first hose less diving apparatus came on the market. It was based on an oxygen regeneration system. Many tests were carried out in lakes and harbors, in strong current and under ice in depths up to 30 meters. The German as well as many other navies started using this equipment. "

(I can't insert the address "divingheritage "dot" com". It seems to be copyright protected)

There are some really nice pictures here.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
"Hoseless diving apparatus

In 1912 the first hose less diving apparatus came on the market. It was based on an oxygen regeneration system. Many tests were carried out in lakes and harbors, in strong current and under ice in depths up to 30 meters. The German as well as many other navies started using this equipment. "

(I can't insert the address "diving heritage "dot" com". It seems to be copyright protected)

There are some really nice pictures here.
Ah, well.. this old thread you resurrected was actually just a joke. However, I see by your profile picture that you're into vintage gear. So why the contradictory signature??
BTW, the first breath I ever took on scuba was on a double hose back in 1971. I remember it was a voit.
Anyway, thanks for the interesting info!

Rick Inman once bubbled...
Ah, well.. this old thread you resurrected was actually just a joke.

It was intended as a joke, but it stuck in my mind as an interesting concept. If I had enough money to spend on things like this, it would be fun to try diving with a cartridge belt full of SpareAirs.

"However, I see by your profile picture that you're into vintage gear. So why the contradictory signature??"

Swimming with old equipment can be seen by some as advocating unsafe diving practices. The tag line is my disclaimer to do as I say, not as I do.

"BTW, the first breath I ever took on scuba was on a double hose back in 1971. I remember it was a Voit."

Voit made some terriffic dive gear. I've got a few old Voit single and double hose regulators that breathe fantastic. The old dive gear is a lot of fun. Tomorrow I will be diving with my circa 1972 Healthways Sonic. It has a built-in low air pressure alarm where each breath spins a little impeller. Little hammers fling out and bang against the inside of the alarm housing. It is LOUD and sounds like a machine gun. There is no way to accidently run out of air with this thing. Some of these old regulators had some really ingenious features.

You guys are hilarious. If this doesn't belong in the humor thread, somebody definately lost their sense of humor......
When I heard someone suggesting where to put the spare air,

I didn't even consider the propulsion aspects of that location...

The Spare Air people will probably read this and actually make a ammo belt rig...I wouldn't put it past them...no worse than a real Spare Air.

So here is my idea:

Instead of a batman style spare air utility belt, we need a spring loaded PEZ candy like spare air magazine which pops out a fresh one every minute or two. By the way, Do "empty" spare airs float? if so, just let go of the used ones, and let the boat worry about gathering them up.

Next up: mixing on the fly with one each of spare helium and spare oxygen ...

-Klaus

Boogie,

Let's take your idea one step further.

Take a least a dozen of your ammo belt SA's and fill them with liquid oxygen. They'd be a little cold to touch, but could provide a lot of O2. Of course, you'd have to make sure that you only use them above 20 fsw/ffw!

Or you could pop one of those into your mouth, along with a bottle of nitrogen and then have a 50 percent mixture. Or put another bottle of nitrogen in there and you've got a 33 percent mixture. Good for around 111 fsw or so. Just need a really big mouth....

Back
Top Bottom