What age for tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interesting discussion that went on there
thanks everyone for the answers,
think ill be changing the length of my course to 2 months now!

I'm only really familiar with GUE and TDI standards, so can't comment generally.

GUE are probably have the most obvious standards. They don't allow smokers to take their courses (GUE instructors have the ability to strip certifications from people they see smoking after a course), they have swim tests for all their courses (surface and u/w breath hold) - though not overly onerous at the entry level, they get tougher as the courses get more challenging. For my Fundies course (which is <30m non-deco nitrox course) half the pre-reading was about smoking, health and fitness. I'm doing the Tech 1 (<57m normoxic trimix) early next year, and expect much the same - plus a good ribbing from the instructor.

What I do like about the GUE courses is that the instructors get in the pool and do the swim test with the students on nearly every course - the guy who is doing my course was the national fin swimming champion of Ireland, and I am a plodder when it comes to swimming. I always feel a bit jipped about timed swim tests as a result, but hey... you have to measure it somehow. GUE also allow holistic health and fitness evaluations by their instructors - taking into account alcohol use, weight etc etc.
This sounds like my "ideal agency". Tell me more! Only thing is that I don't know if many divers in this neck of the woods would want to train this way....:depressed:

interesting discussion that went on there
thanks everyone for the answers,
think ill be changing the length of my course to 2 months now!

Wow - let's get this train back on the tracks!!!

Where are you heading to do your tec dives? I did my tec and trimix courses in Subic and La Union and went back a couple of years later to do my instructor. Who are ya diving with? I am so envious!!!

As for pre-requisites, you can look up the standards but I would suggest getting in as many dives in doubles during the process as possible. It's just a task loading and comfort thing. The absolute best thing you can do before going is make sure your recreational skills are rock solid and second nature. That way you're not over tasked when they start throwing shutdown drills in neutral buoyancy and stuff like that at ya.

Did I mention I am envious? :)

Wow - let's get this train back on the tracks!!!

Where are you heading to do your tec dives? I did my tec and trimix courses in Subic and La Union and went back a couple of years later to do my instructor. Who are ya diving with? I am so envious!!!

As for pre-requisites, you can look up the standards but I would suggest getting in as many dives in doubles during the process as possible. It's just a task loading and comfort thing. The absolute best thing you can do before going is make sure your recreational skills are rock solid and second nature. That way you're not over tasked when they start throwing shutdown drills in neutral buoyancy and stuff like that at ya.

Did I mention I am envious? :)

you might not be too envious of the loan that going to come out of it all though! haha,
going with triton tech based in dumagete (dont know really how to spell it)
i am getting myself a drysuit and want to do some doubles diving in the uk with the local scuba club before i go so hopefully will get into the water most weekends
so that should keep those skills from going rusty! interestingly a crossover from PADI divemaster to BSAC dive-leader will mean that my max depth increases from 40m to 50m so id like to try and get a few more dives in that range.

i have one question though that i would obviously not know what it feels like,
what is the psychological effect when you know you have an hour or more of deco at 5m? i would like to try and mentally prepare myself for what this is going to be like.

Thanks,
B

you might not be too envious of the loan that going to come out of it all though! haha,
going with triton tech based in dumagete (dont know really how to spell it)
i am getting myself a drysuit and want to do some doubles diving in the uk with the local scuba club before i go so hopefully will get into the water most weekends
so that should keep those skills from going rusty! interestingly a crossover from PADI divemaster to BSAC dive-leader will mean that my max depth increases from 40m to 50m so id like to try and get a few more dives in that range.

i have one question though that i would obviously not know what it feels like,
what is the psychological effect when you know you have an hour or more of deco at 5m? i would like to try and mentally prepare myself for what this is going to be like.

Thanks,
B

At 5m you will not have more than 20min or so as long as you are doing accelerated decompression. Our profile for diving the AJ-2 Savage aircraft in Subic Bay at 226fsw had our last stop on 80% at 18min. When the reality sinks in is when you are doing your trimix dives and when you leave the bottom on your backgas and your computer is telling you that you have 999 minutes of deco (NitekHe shows deco for only your current selected gas). You realize that if you lost your deco bottles you would be totally hosed at that point.

The shallow hangs in the PI are fun cause it is so clear. You'll hang out, take pictures, make fun of each other and dodge dynamite fishermen. :)

You'll do good and have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom