What am I looking at?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KennyTS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going through pictures from Bonaire, and I can't figure out what I am even looking at.
Is it two fish? Spots look like those of a spotted drum. When I was trying to take the picture it was probably obvious what it was, but the camera angle of the picture doesn't help much in identifying it now.

Any guesses?

Thanks!

That almost looks like some sort of filefish to me.
My 2 cents, i'm horrible at Fish ID by the way...

It's a triggerfish, I just can't think of the exact type! Maybe a juvenile Clown Triggerfish...

It's a white spotted filefish, Cantherhines macrocerus, seen from the top.

-Mark

Oops...mark beat me to it!

Forget the stoopid fish, look at all that healthy coral!

Yep a white spotted filefish and here he is with a very quick dose of Photoshop auto color correction.

Thanks a lot. I've looked past the pages of filefish several times and never noticed it.
Yes, this is the "raw" picture untouched. The touched up ones look much nicer. With over 500 pics to go through (discard, touch up, and identify), I just now started to try to identify the "unknowns".

This is my first trip with a non-disposable camera. I can't beleive how much detail is captured. I don't even want to think about trying to identify everything else in the photos besides the fish.

Thanks Again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom