What are the Nicest Lodging Choices Set up for Convenient, Good Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I wanted to go high end in close proximity to restaurants, I would go with Cozumel Palace and dive with Living Underwater. If I wanted to be able to add shore diving to my boat dives, I would go with Blue Angel and dive with their on-site op (bring a lock for your locker). The on-site restaurant is pretty good and there are many, many more in town in a 10-15 minute walk. (And it's very safe to walk in Cozumel.)

I would NOT stay at one of the southern resorts because they are just too far from town and the taxi rides are killers. If you want to get away from everything, I guess they would be an OK choice. The Presidente is a bit further south of the two places I have mentioned and is a $8-10 taxi ride to town each way. Most all of the dive operators dock their boats in the little harbour right next door to it so, as others have said, you have scads of ops to choose from at your doorstop.

As others have said, people who dive in Cozumel a lot seldom book the on site dive op; rather they mix and match finding an op that meets their particular needs and wants.

I think he said "high end". That would leave Blue Angel and Scuba Club out. Cozumel Palace is the top of my list although the beach area is rather rocky. Presidente is good; but, too far out of town.

Actually, there is no real beach at Cozumel Palace. The OP needs to understand that many hotels have ironshore at the waters edge and sand is placed on top of that. In those cases, you will not be taking sunset strolls on the beach, walking hand in hand with your bare feet sometimes in the sand and sometimes in the water. This is the Cozumel Palace:

2q5gfr

As you determine where you wish to stay, you may have to give up on some preferences to satisfy other desires. That is just the reality of Cozumel.

Thanks for all the good feedback. I understand most of the shore is like Bonaire in that it is ironshore without sandy beach and that's not a deal killer. Good suggestions on not being web to using a resort's on site dive operator so I'll research dive ops and high end hotels separately. Our hope is to be able to leave most of the dive gear with the operator and not have to schlep it back to our rooms after each day of diving. Diving is the primary purpose of the trip so marrying a good operator with a nice hotel are top priorities now.

If you want a small B&B feel, then ScubaClubCozumel is your best option. It is NOT fancy, but it is cozy and friendly and the employees all know your name and room number by the end of the first day. The dive op is right there with bigger boats that are comfortable, can walk around, all have a head, and covered areas so not sitting in sun unless you want. We love it. I have several recent trip reports with photos.
As far as the restaurant goes, meals are included there but you are walking distance to downtown if you so desire to try other places.

Fancy, high-end.... nope.
Friendly and Diver oriented... yes.
Just depends which one you really want.

robin
see my trip reports, photos, and videos link in my signature.

Thanks for all the good feedback. I understand most of the shore is like Bonaire in that it is ironshore without sandy beach and that's not a deal killer. Good suggestions on not being web to using a resort's on site dive operator so I'll research dive ops and high end hotels separately. Our hope is to be able to leave most of the dive gear with the operator and not have to schlep it back to our rooms after each day of diving. Diving is the primary purpose of the trip so marrying a good operator with a nice hotel are top priorities now.
This is the beach at Secrets Aura. Just like Bonaire, the south end has sandy beaches. Unlike Bonaire, there are actually quite a few hotels located at the south end with sandy beaches.

This is also the dock at Secrets Aura. Your friendly dive boat will pick you up right there, though you're responsible for walking down the dock on your own unless you can convince someone to carry you.

Secrets Dock.jpg

Many dive ops will keep your gear and have it set up when you board the boat. Few keep your wetsuit to the best of my knowledge.

Occidental is probably the highest end Resort (but I could be wrong - I don't do All-Inclusives on Cozumel, I like the variety and quality of restaurants far too much), but the far South Resorts are all All-Inclusive and very far from town.
Hardly. Occidental does have the "Royal Club" upgrade, but that mainly just gives you an additional restaurant choice and priority reservations at the other restaurants. There are no ocean-view rooms there and the rooms are quite dated and musty. Food is good at the sit-down restaurants (I don't do buffets on Cozumel, I like the variety and quality of AI sit-down restaurants far too much) but nothing fancy.

Secrets is the highest end southern AI resort, roughly the same level of luxury and quality as Cozumel Palace in town. The revamped Fiesta Americana may be a third entry in the high-end AI market but I haven't stayed there yet.

Our hope is to be able to leave most of the dive gear with the operator and not have to schlep it back to our rooms after each day of diving.

Few keep your wetsuit to the best of my knowledge.

If memory serves from other threads, I think Mossman indicted the dive op. Living Underwater did keep his wetsuit, so he didn't have to haul it back & forth from his hotel. If this is a significant issue, check with them to be sure. They also offer low pressure steel 120 cf tanks, which can make for nice, long dives. I got in 2 dives with them once & would like to dive with them again.

Richard.

Presidente Intercontinental has beautiful rooms. 4-5 star by any standard. Food, service and amenities are typical Coz and hence not tops but no one on the island is. We are about to go back there for our second trip to Coz. We dive with Blue XT Sea. Great personalized dive op. In the top grouping for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom