What are the Nicest Lodging Choices Set up for Convenient, Good Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After some research, it appears the Cozumel Palace is in the lead. Having never been to Coz, we're prefer to simplify the eating side of things and have most meals on site as part of the AI option. We'll scope out other resorts and dining options and get a sense of where we could stay/eat on a future trip (assuming the diving warrants another trip).

The Palace's associated dive operation is Aqua Safari. Any thoughts on whether that operation is a good choice? Using them would seem to allow for us to use the "resort credit" offered in some of the Palace's packages.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask for feedback about getting to Cozumel by flying into Cancun or should I only look at direct flights into Coz? If there is a relatively easy and reliable way to get from the Cancun airport to the Palace, we would have more flight versus limiting flights to Cozumel direct flights only.

Thanks for the info and if I can repay you with travel advice about the Turks and Caicos or Grand Cayman, feel free to DM me as I've been to both of those locations many times.

Your airport shuttle at Cozumel to the Palace will be roughly $10/pp. More details are in the stickies at the top of this forum.

It is certainly the most convenient to fly directly into Cozumel but lots of people fly into Cancun because it offers more flight options and often at a significant savings.

You have three options to get from Cancun to Cozumel: you can catch a small plane for about $65 one way (which runs every couple of hours), hire a private service in advance to take you to Playa del Carmen (approx. $50-60), or you can take the bus (approx. $10). Once in Playa Del Carmen you catch the next departing ferry (around $18). If you do the bag drag, count on an additional 2 hours travelling time depending on how your connections go. I have used all these methods and while I prefer the plane (watch your baggage weights however), I usually take the bus. But I generally try to fly right into Cozumel because it's a 5-10 minute shuttle ride to my house from the airport!

I think the Palace was a good choice...I have never read a single negative comment about them here and you can't beat the location. Sorry but I can't give you any insight into Aqua Safari although I see from their website that they charge extra to go to more advanced sites. There are so many great diving ops in Cozumel that I would be inclined to look a bit further, with your partner using the credits for spa services.

Because this is your first trip the Palace will be a good choice if it fits your budget. Location is GREAT for exploring town & it's a very well respected choice re the food. I have an album set devoted to Cozumel showing the waterfront area of the Palace along with grounds tours of several; other resorts here. Lots of dive albums from my different trips too. My upcoming trip celebrates 20 years of visits.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

I have stayed at most, not all hotels in COZ. I like the Cozumel Palace the best. I really liked the kid club feature.

The palace is excellent, you will really enjoy the resort and food. We were there last year at this time and utilized aqua safari with our resort credits; it only cost us $13/day for 2 tank dives, since you only have to pay taxes. Our experience with aqua safari, was excellent. Great dives and great people. On a positive note, we will be arriving at the Cozumel palace in 2 days for a week of diving. After we get back from Coz I will be reaching out around Grand Cayman and Turks. Lastly, we prefer to fly directly to Coz just for the convience. Lots of people fly to Cancun and take the ferry over from Playa Del Carmen. Have and great day.

Info on getting from Cancun airport to Cozumel is below. Avoid early morning...maybe anything before noon...departures from Cancun since you have to allow for the ferry and ADO bus (or private transfer) option. You can stay near the Cancun airport the evening before at the Courtyard Marriott.

www.tinyurl.com/7m3r6

I'll continue everyone's positive assessment of the Palace. I stayed there a couple times and would have gone back except that I started traveling on my own and they don't offer a single rate. Besides that complaint, which only pertains to single travelers, my only other nit picking is that it can be loud until around 10 pm if you plan on heading to bed early because of the outside entertainment. They're good at cutting off the noise at 10, though, unlike other places where sounds can carry on late into the night (there was a band at the corner bar one night during my last stay at the Bahia Suites, for example, which played loudly until around midnight). The other noise complaint commonly mentioned on Trip Advisor and which I can concur with is that the marble floors in the corridors, while beautiful, magnify the sounds of footsteps and the acoustics of drunken voices. Some recommend stuffing a towel to close the gap at the bottom of the door to mitigate that issue.

But neither of those nits detract much from the otherwise excellent overall experience. Service is impeccable, the food maybe not up to the quality of the best island restaurants, but certainly as good or better than many, drinks high quality, and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. My favorite part of the palace is the little surprises you find there. Every night they set up a table in the lobby which might have some interesting and tasty appetizers one night, a guy making flaming Mayan coffees the next. One afternoon we were in the pool and a parade of waiters came around carrying freshly made chocolate dipped ice-cream bars of various flavors. The restaurant menus are very varied, enough so you won't get bored eating there for even a few weeks, and the lunch buffet is amazing - that's coming from someone who generally detests buffets except at breakfast. I can't even comment on the breakfast buffet, though, because I always utilized the room service - can't beat the convenience of having your food delivered while you're prepping your camera and readying yourself for the day's diving.

All that said, I'll focus on your question of whether Aqua Safari is a good choice. It probably is a "good" choice, but I'm pretty sure you can do better. The nice thing about Cozumel is that there are a range of dive shops that will pick you up right at the dock as well as store all your gear for you so you don't even have the hassle of carrying stuff between the Aqua Safari shop lockers and the boat. My favorite dive op, Living Underwater, uses steel 120s for extended profiles, has a huge camera tank on board, and even stores your wetsuit so you don't have to drag it with you over those slippery marble floors, plus owner/DM Jeremy is one of the best dive guides I've ever had the pleasure to follow. There are other excellent choices of dive ops as well. I'll put in a plug for Blue X-T-Sea if you don't want/need the heavy steel tanks - she has new fast engines on her boat and a DM with over 10,000 dives on the local reefs. Either way, you can't go wrong.

You probably won't go "wrong" with Aqua Safari either, especially on a first trip there and at your level of experience. The only complaint I've heard about them is that it may be tough to schedule all the "free" dives you want at busier times depending on how many boats they're running. But if you want to pay real money to dive, you can get really pampered with either of the two boutique shops I mentioned plus a host of others offering similar amenties and some of the best dive guides in the business anywhere. The problem with using an outside dive op is spending all those credits they give you. There are a number of excursions they offer, but which may conflict with your dive schedule. I would send J off to the spa for massages up to the maximum permitted for that use ($300) and we'd "spend" the rest on the "romantic dinner for two" and on bottles of wine from the very pricey wine list. It almost seemed a waste of the credits to use them on frivolities which we might have otherwise bothered with - since the "free" wines on offer are adequate and so are the restaurants - but I come to Cozumel to dive and therefore my first priority is diving with the best dive op even if it takes more out of my pocket. YMMV.

You have three options to get from Cancun to Cozumel: you can catch a small plane for about $65 one way (which runs every couple of hours), ...

Do NOT book for 63 online. Email or chat if chat is working. I just bought December Mayair tickets for 48.02 pp. Booked 4 both ways, saved 119.84. Now that is ALOT of margaritas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom