What are the travel scuba essentials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I travel extensively and always take my own gear. Over the past 12 months I've flown to the Bahamas, Papua New Guinea, Galapagos, Bonaire, Socorro, and French Polynesia. Two of those trips were with a closed circuit rebreather and all included extensive camera gear (extra camera bodies, multiple lenses, multiple ports, strobes, etc). I also always take my laptop for digital imaging processing. Despite this, I've had no problems whatsoever. I fly with two checked bags (up to 50 lbs each), a carryon that has all of my camera housings, strobes, etc and a backpack that has my laptop and camera bodies. Like the other posters above, I feel it's best to have all of your own gear. The only snag I've had was having to pay overage fees on my inter-island flights in French Polynesia Where they only allow 25kg TOTAL for checked luggage which included my carryon since it was too large for the overhead bin. For me, paying the extra money was well worth having my own gear.

All of that being said, if I were to rank in order what equipment is "essential" from most important to least important I would say:
1. Mask -- if a rental mask doesn't fit, your diving is miserable
2. Buoyancy compensator -- you need to be very comfortable knowing where "everything is" and how to drop your weights in case of an emergency (if weight-integrated)
3. Wetsuit/Drysuit -- if cold water where fit is going to be especially important
4. Regulator

Most everything else could be rented if need be. By the way, I would always throw in my own dive computer!

Doug

Interesting posts so far... I guess my answer is "depends"...

Took a trip to Australia 2 years ago... knew I would only get in one 2-tank trip. I took my prescription mask (can't wear contacts), my c-card and my latest log book insert and my dive computer. Beyond that I rented the gear. Got 2 really good dives in I would otherwise not have gotten.

Regularly take trips to the Florida Keys... take everything but tanks and weights. Even take my spare mask and spares kit. This is my typical "kit" whether it is the Keys or even Hawaii like I did a year ago.

Technical diving trips... I take everything including the kitchen sink and tanks... and drive... so drove to St. Lawrence Seaway last year and will again this year... drove to Florida springs earlier this year and suspect it won't be the last either.

Upcoming trip to the Oriskany... technical diving but will be renting tanks. So a new experience.

all my gear except for tanks and weights

(that means mask, wetsuit, booties, fins, bp-wings, 2 flashlights, knife, inflatable sausage, pneumatic horn, regs, computer, watch and mesh boat bag; camera,
case, recharger, hard drive for storage. i lug it all in a single hardened case with
wheels, which i check through. the only thing i carry in my person is logbook
and computer. that way i can rent everything else if need be).

Most flights give you two checked bags and two carryons (one being a personal item - i.e. a computer)

Youy should be able to pack everything you need.

Buy clothes there if need be - you want t-shirts anyhow - I know you do....

When I went to Hawaii recently I knew I would be diving three days. I took everything I could except a 3mm suit and regulator that I don't own and I would never take tanks or weights. However, next year I hope to be on a tour of Portugal with my wife. I have one day to dive the Algarve coast. All I'm taking is my mask, boots, gloves, dive computer, and my compact underwater camera. What you take is always going to depend on the situation and your comfort level with using rental gear.

All my gear except tanks and weights unless we're driving somewhere and then we bring those too. I also bring a backup mask, reg, and LOTS of bits and pieces along with the ever important tie wraps and duct tape. I'd rather wear the same moldy clothes for a week than pack light on the gear end!

The interns all have Glocks.

I have a briefcase full of Hundreds.

Whatever I can't buy for the team, I have the interns handle it.

tankboygreg:
Mask, snorkel (for those that use them), boots and gloves (if you are going to need them), and your dive computer. Just about everything else you can rent. I'm sure many divers who own their own regulator would never advocate renting a regulator if they didn't have to. I don't own a regulator (only because I've recently gotten back into diving and it's the last piece of equipment I need to purchase) so I have to rent one.

I am just lazy and I like to have everything in a carry-on. I have gone diving in most parts of the world, and the only thing that pisses me off is when the suit doesn't fit, so I have started to pack my wetsuit. Otherwise I rent. I know, shame on me, buy the regulator. But in 10 years of diving, I just rent. Don't own anything beyond the wetsuit, mask, boots, gloves and a couple different hoods.

debersole:
I travel extensively and always take my own gear. Over the past 12 months I've flown to the Bahamas, Papua New Guinea, Galapagos, Bonaire, Socorro, and French Polynesia. Two of those trips were with a closed circuit rebreather and all included extensive camera gear (extra camera bodies, multiple lenses, multiple ports, strobes, etc). I also always take my laptop for digital imaging processing. Despite this, I've had no problems whatsoever. I fly with two checked bags (up to 50 lbs each), a carryon that has all of my camera housings, strobes, etc and a backpack that has my laptop and camera bodies. Like the other posters above, I feel it's best to have all of your own gear. The only snag I've had was having to pay overage fees on my inter-island flights in French Polynesia Where they only allow 25kg TOTAL for checked luggage which included my carryon since it was too large for the overhead bin. For me, paying the extra money was well worth having my own gear.

All of that being said, if I were to rank in order what equipment is "essential" from most important to least important I would say:
1. Mask -- if a rental mask doesn't fit, your diving is miserable
2. Buoyancy compensator -- you need to be very comfortable knowing where "everything is" and how to drop your weights in case of an emergency (if weight-integrated)
3. Wetsuit/Drysuit -- if cold water where fit is going to be especially important
4. Regulator

Most everything else could be rented if need be. By the way, I would always throw in my own dive computer!

Doug

p.s. don't forget the duct tape!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom