What are the unexpected costs of gear ownership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
As I start my research to buy gear, I am curious if folks on the board would give me some insight into the unexpected cost of gear ownership?

I hear people mention you need to regularly maintaining equipment -- which seem obvious. So, on what type of schedule do things like a BC and a regulator need to be serviced? What is the costs of such service if nothing out of the ordinary is wrong?

What are the most likely things to go wrong with a BC?

With a regulator?

Do wetsuits have any special needs other than repairing rips, seams?

Unexpected cost of gear ownership is buying more gear! :wink:

Reg maintenance is about $40 a year, and everything else you should be able to maintain yourself. As long as you keep your gear clean, store it correctly, and are dilligent about testing it before each dive, you will likely encounter few maintenance costs.

When I asked Scott about the life of a BC, it was clear that it's likely you'll WANT to replace your BC before you can wear it out and HAVE to replace it.

Hey Doug,

Generally, everything that can go wrong with a regulator is replaced during a service. Some common issues may be like O-rings may become worn, the diaphragm may need to be replaced, salt buildup on the inside of your 1st/2nd stage from lack of rinsing, but generally small things that can be fixed without issue. As for BCD, it can be important to get the valve on the BCD checked every now and then. If incorrect rinsing occurs, salt crystals can form and build up on the LP inflator, and cause issues while inflating, causing the hose to stick. Again, provided you take care of your gear, yo will have no problems.

If you're using your wetsuit in the pool, it wont be long before the chlorine startes eating away at it, so remember to wash it thoroughly with fresh waster, and if you can get it, some neoprene shampoo will keep it fresh and in good shape. :wink:

Good luck

Scubafreak

if you get a computer - check to see if you can replace the battery or if it needs to be sent back to the manufacturer (this can be costly in terms of time and $)...my Stinger needs to be done at the factory.

DougK:
As I start my research to buy gear, I am curious if folks on the board would give me some insight into the unexpected cost of gear ownership?

I hear people mention you need to regularly maintaining equipment -- which seem obvious. So, on what type of schedule do things like a BC and a regulator need to be serviced? What is the costs of such service if nothing out of the ordinary is wrong?

What are the most likely things to go wrong with a BC?

With a regulator?

Do wetsuits have any special needs other than repairing rips, seams?

As I mentioned above it REALLY depends on your gear. You should get year gear serviced annually. If we're talking a recreational rig with say 2 regs, a BC with standard inflator hose, spg, computer, and a single alum 80 expect about $250 p/yr for annual service. This is the cost for safe maintenance if nothing is broken over the course of a year. This includes part kits for the regs, shop labor is the biggest portion of course, tank VIP's, battery replacement in computer, etc.

Your real source of expense will be your desire to add/upgrade equipment as your needs and experience change :wink:

--Matt

Actually it may be wise to purchase or download if you can find it an equipment care guide.

these guys have touched on my main ones:

1. yearly reg maintenance ($80)
2. batteries for computer and back-up lights, as needed
3. air fills
4. boat fees
5. DAN insurance ($100)
6. gas money to and from dive sites
7. there's ALWAYS something else to buy ($x)

Don't forget gear insurance if that's important to you - say another $100-$200 depending on how much gear you have...

Also dont forget the cost of yearly VIP and a hydro every 5 years (and possibly O2 cleaning) for each tank you own.

Back
Top Bottom